Hello Avid Gardeners.

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Hello Avid Gardeners.

Post by KAMasud » July 11th, 2012, 7:01 am

Hello every one. I have been reading this forum for quite some time and quite impressed with the members data pool, so thought of taking the plunge and joining.
Regards.

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: Hello Avid Gardeners.

Post by Hamad » July 11th, 2012, 8:37 am

You are welcome on this forum and where do you live in Rawalpindi? I live in Wah cantt and tell us something about your plants.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab » July 11th, 2012, 10:12 am

Welcome to the forum. Pleasure to see you on the forum. Would love to see what you are growing. We hope to learn some tips from you :)
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem » July 13th, 2012, 9:46 am

Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please share your experience and plant details with us .
Kaleem
Attachments
P5010162.JPG
Kaleem

KAMasud

Post by KAMasud » July 13th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Well, about myself first. I am a ex merchant navy officer sick of the various shades of blue between the sea and the sky. Rather prefer the shades of blue's, browns and greens. Rawalpindi, Askari, Jhanda Chicchi. That should narrow it down a bit :) . I should add, not to mobile.
Plants? Well, due to some limitations of having a one marla garden, my garden is more intensive then extensive. :) In a nut shell, its a bit to complicated. Horizontal, vertical, indoors, outdoors. rotting sunny, partial shade, deep shade and now to change the micro climate (phew, it was hot wasn't it?) now i am thinking along the lines of getting a upper canopy up composed of patchy palm fronds. Cannot afford the abnormal quantity of water required to maintain the sub soil and atmospheric moisture level in May and June.
Horizontal, well every one has seen that, haven't they? Vertical and hanging can go together. In doors, self explainable. Rotting sunny, the verge between my boundary wall and the road, harsh environment. Heat from top, heat from boundary wall reflected, heat from black tar road, bakes from sunrise to sunset. Shade, dark shade under the lentil of the porch and diffused shade on its approach. Diffused, because i have covered it with chick (water reeds) canopy.
That being my home garden i have a five kanal patch in Kallar Syedain shapped like a samosa(triangle). Its virgin, just bought due to space limitations at home. May end up being kicked out by my better half who thinks any thing green is either fit to be eaten or grass and best forgotten. As to what i am going to do there. Some Lychees along the path, some Chikoos in one angle of the hypotenuse, have to have a patchy upper canopy of Alexander and Queen palms. Boundary wall composed of Bougainvillea, vicious rose creepers(Goats are a pest), maybe inject a few other things also. Nothing beats a living security fence. Rest, still thinking. :)
As to pics, let me first explore Photobucket then i may be able to post. Weisa, i am wide open to queries in the written language.
Regards.

cyberkings
City: Islamabad

Post by cyberkings » July 13th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Nice writing Masud sb. Just felt like standing in your 'one marla' garden and 5 kanal 'samosa' while reading your post :)

Regards,

Shahid

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed » July 13th, 2012, 8:31 pm

^ Like.......

KAMasud

Post by KAMasud » July 14th, 2012, 11:12 am

Most welcome but i wish you were here to appreciate my one marla Black Munakka grapes (age 3 years). In the end had to invite all the neighbouring kids to polish them off. Lets see when my big dark purple without seeds fruits (age second season). As long as i am on climbers, have two Rangoon creepers, one white rose, some grandiflora Datura type flower with crumpled edges, the one ID'd on this forum some where has white flowers while mine has pale cream. Two Passiflora, two Chlorodendrons, one rose pink, Chambelli, Motia trying to creep up and the staple Bougainvillea in different shades.
Why? Well the energy costs are going through the roof and have to cool down the structure. ;)
Regards.

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq » July 14th, 2012, 11:56 am

"...Horizontal, vertical, indoors, outdoors. rotting sunny, partial shade, deep shade..."

Masud Sahab, your poetic prose & description is impressive!

But still a picture is worth a thousand words. Curious to see your flowers :-)

Regards,

Farooq

KAMasud

Post by KAMasud » July 16th, 2012, 9:18 am

What do you expect from a Alumni of K.G.S. and on top a Petarian. Plus the fact i spent my time rolling around at sea visiting Botanical Gardens world wide and off course the Kew Gardens. Hanging around, helping the students did some times get me the reward that the teachers would invite me to sit through their class. Gardeners world wide are very helpful. except here it seems. Have my Face Book account but Photo Bucket i have not explored due to time constraints. Ok, today i will try.
Zinnias are coming to a end so are the Phytolacas (Portulaca). Crista galli (Latin: "crest of the cock") is getting ready for its third bloom this year while Erythrina are out of season. The seasonal flowers i am not going to put down next season (sick of being blackmailed). Will shift to F1 variety of Lantanas, gentian, helleborus, etc. You get the picture na :D more you water them, more the leaves. Less you water them, more the flowers.
The romantic scented creepers will be coming into bloom any time. Monsoons is a period of hot muggy nights plus these night blooming, heavily scented hints by nature for romance (not for us long in the tooth variety but the young spring chickens).
Regards.

Return to “Introduction”