My (to be ) Glorious Garden In Islamabad

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

zahid
City: Islamabad

My (to be ) Glorious Garden In Islamabad

Post by zahid »

Hi folks,
I have bought some 8 kanal land near islamabad and still not got round to getting it landscaped. In the meantime, have planted scores of orange trees, some apricot, plum, peach and 2 rather lonely palm trees.

Does anyone has any pearls of guidance?

Thanks in advance,

Zahid

Challenges are a part of nature's plan to prepare you for bigger opportunities.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: My (to be ) Glorious Garden In Islamabad

Post by tweedle2009 »

Plant vines all around to add color:

Wisteria
Clematis
Passiflora
Bougenvilla
Beaumontia grandiflora
Mandevilla
Akebia quinata if you can buy from abroad
Mucuna sempervirens
Vigna caracalla
Moon Vine
Love Vine
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Aoa Zahid welcome to the forum.all the members will guide you but the final desicion will be yours,cuse taste differs.ur area is a large area.first of all draw a picture in ur mind,then make it on the paper.plant some fruit trees.try some citrus varities.plant some good varities of mangoes.mark a seperate area for the trees.also plant some flowering trees like magnolias.there are also many other trees.please visit the nursries.make caual visits.plant some beautiful vines as Adnan cb told you.mark an area for the water plants.you can try water lily.if you can manage make small pond with a small bridge over it so you can view the beauty of your lilies.mark an area just for roses.roses are the queen of flowers.fateh muhammad nursery is the leader in roses in islamabad.mark an area for lawn.also make beds for the anuals in your lawn.you have large area so plant single variety in seperate color scheme fo max color impact.plant fragrant plants alon the walking paths so you can enjoy fesh fragrance wile walking.also mark an area for the kitchen gardening.make a rokery thats also gives best impact.i have six canal house and i have decorated in same way.the only i dont have is pond.but im working on it.plant some beautiful palms.i think its enough.
zahid

Post by zahid »

Thanks for the replies. I'll bear it my mind. Just done a bit of research and learnt that the native plants in the area include wheat, maize and certain fruit trees.Citrus is probably not the best choice due to falling water table in the area.

I definitely like the idea of the pond (thanks Umar). Potential challenges to the project: 1)summer heat, 2) issues with algae growth and 3)a natural mosquito habitat. But I am sure that there will be solutions.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

hai dear plan your pond far from your buldings specially bed rooms.oranges are best where water table is down.kino is opposite,kino needs near water table.thats why kino is super class of punjab.oranges are best in our areas specially in areas which are in hills foot.the punjabs orange taste is not good but kino is super class.guava is best of ladkana & kohat.so it the taste also depends on the climate & soil.brother also plant some shatooth to enjoy it fresh.i think now adays fresh shatooth is not easily avable in the market.plant some sensation mango trees.its easy to maintain due to its compact growth.inshallah you wil enjoy mangoes in oct.its also very decorative.do not try kabuli apricot,as it is a falure in our hot climate.enjoy gardening.
oyfili
City: calabria

Post by oyfili »

As of the pond you may take in consideration a pair of lovely ducks that will keep it clean of algas and will eat mosquitos and larvas
zahid

Post by zahid »

Does anyone has any experience of using plantation for fencing? I have been told that Bougenvilla is the best option. I have constructed a 3 ft high stonewall and then 6 ft high wire fence.
Thanks
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

bogunvellia is best but there are also other good vines & climbers as Adnan have mentioned some of good vines earlier.you can get best bogunvillias from karachi in small plastic bags in resonable prices.contact Izhar or Mirafzal as they live in karachi.bogunvillia are very drought tolerent plants.the flowers are very attractive.the quality i love in this cliber is its flower range.from purple to pure white.there are two clesses.first are the singles,secondly doubles are also avalible.multi colors are also there so the range is very wide.
sara

Post by sara »

welcome to the forum :)
you can always plant some mosquito repelling plants like basil and citronella around the pond or the sitting area. you should also have a nice pergola and have some fragrant vines going around it :)
good luck with your garden !
Sara
zahid

Post by zahid »

Thanks for the replies, Umar and Sara.
Let me tell you, I got some citroenella candles last time for my parents in Pakistan and they were a big hit. So getting some more now.
I will be going over to Pakistan in a month's time. I am taking some avocado seeds from UK which I plan to germinate and plant there. Wonder if I should get some other stuff which is not freely available there.

Thanks again,

Return to “Introduction”