Champee specimen sought

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Champee specimen sought

Post by Izhar »

We all are in learning phase, its all about sharing your experiences, success and failures.. which help others to learn..

A friend gifted me the seeds of Snail vine, I have two plants which are now 15 feet plus with many branches, they may bloom in September hopefully...

Yes Daturas are toxic but so are the Cycads, Euphorbias etc... they are beautiful and fragrant plants with bad reputation... :)
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by tweedle2009 »

Welcome.For a scented garden you should try gardenias,Sweet autumn clematis which performs very well in lahore atleast,Vigna Caracalla,Hoya,agastache,akebia quinata,stephontis and ofcourse , jasmines.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

On Saturday evening, me and Mir Afzal sb. went to Shalimar nursery and smelled the Ylang Ylang Vine flower, no doubt about the very unique fruit like fragrance which was increasing with the sunset... at a distance it felt like ripe mangoes with mixture of pineapple but sniffing directly was a complete different experience.. a must have for a fragrant garden...
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by tweedle2009 »

Izhar wrote:On Saturday evening, me and Mir Afzal sb. went to Shalimar nursery and smelled the Ylang Ylang Vine flower, no doubt about the very unique fruit like fragrance which was increasing with the sunset... at a distance it felt like ripe mangoes with mixture of pineapple but sniffing directly was a complete different experience.. a must have for a fragrant garden...
I wish its flowers were more beautiful.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

tweedle2009 wrote:
Izhar wrote:On Saturday evening, me and Mir Afzal sb. went to Shalimar nursery and smelled the Ylang Ylang Vine flower, no doubt about the very unique fruit like fragrance which was increasing with the sunset... at a distance it felt like ripe mangoes with mixture of pineapple but sniffing directly was a complete different experience.. a must have for a fragrant garden...
I wish its flowers were more beautiful.

I think there is a scientific generalization. Flowers which rely on colours to attract insects are generally not fragrant. However flowers which rely on scent are generally less attractive and mainly nocturnal. Raat-ki-rani and Har-singhaar are some examples. Raat ki raani flowers are unattractive yet it's fragrance is over-powering. Similarly Artrabotrys flowers can barely be visible yet the fragrance guides the origin of the flower to the insects.

Another observation (my own ... I don't know how many would agree) is that as you go towards the North (pole) and thus cooler climates flowers become brightly coloured but lack fragrance in general.

But in the end it is all the miracles of the best Creator.
farhan
City: karachi

Post by farhan »

salams

Can anybody tell me where exactly is Gulshan branch of Shalimar Nursery.

Thanks
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

N.I.P.A. Roundabout in front of Sir Syed University for Engineering
Khadijah
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: I am totally new to gardening. I would like to develop a fragrant garden.

Post by Khadijah »

I am new to this forum and interested in scented plant. But whenever I go to the nursery they dont have the plants mentioned in your posts or they say its not as fragrant as stated on the internet. Please help.

Return to “Introduction”