As-Salaam-o-Alaikum friends.....

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

etchemzee
City: Islamabad

As-Salaam-o-Alaikum friends.....

Post by etchemzee »

As-Salaam-o-Alaikum everyone,

Well, my profile ID is etchemzee which are initials of my name Hashim Mehdi Zahid

I have just joined the group today.

Am a Nature Lover, so am very fond of plants, fish, animals and birds

An engineer by profession, I have till date been living in rented houses, and whereever I lived, I have left my marks in the form of a beautifully arranged garden, ponds and rockeries.

I have just recently shifted into my new house in Islamabad, and now I am totally lost on how to decorate and arrange my own house backyard.

Would really like someone to guide me on which is the best type of grass to be put in my lawn and whether to plant grass or seeds. The grass should be a hardy type which should be able to sustain the hot and cold of Islamabad.....

Thanx...... Hashim
Hashim
sara

Re: As-Salaam-o-Alaikum friends.....

Post by sara »

welcome to the forums !

eesh grass !! after my episode of planting grass from seeds - the process is very easy - but at the end im glad my garden is small and i dont have to put too much of it ! its a pain to handle for me atleast .. !! getting mine to be green and beautiful has been harder to do then germinate my venus fly traps !!

there are some interesting ground covers google these to get an idea ..Mazus reptans,Blue Star Creeper,Woolly Thyme,Red Creeping Thyme,Mother of Thyme,Ladino Clover ... i liked all of them cuz they have tiny flowers in them too :) i have not idea if you can find them in pakistan maybe the experts here could tell us if they are ... id look into these if they are available .

do post some pictures of your garden area it fun to see how ppl do up gardens from scratch :)
good luck !
Sara
etchemzee

Post by etchemzee »

Thanx a lot Sara.... I am grateful for your helping reply......

I was just wondering which of the two types of grass available in Islamabad (American or Korean) should be better......

are these available in seed form, too and from where could I be able to get 'em

BTW, I have been told by many friends that Korean grass (don't know its botanical name) is slow to grow and attracts lots of termites

whereas the American (again not aware of it botanical name) is a fast grower but is very delicate and does not like being walked upon.....

Which is the grass that is used for Golf-course greens.... anyone any idea?

Regards Hashim
Hashim
sara

Post by sara »

there is awan garden centre in islamabad he had some grass seeds im sure they could guide you if you call them . their number is 051-2260454, 0300-5100975
Sara
etchemzee

Post by etchemzee »

Thanx once again.... You are a great help....

Would surely contact them and see what advice they have for me....
Hashim
sara

Post by sara »

good luck :)
Sara
oyfili
City: calabria

Post by oyfili »

welcome!
zeeshanuddin
City: Islamabad/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Palms, ferns, annuals, succulants, house plants

Post by zeeshanuddin »

Welcome to the forum. I also joined it recently and since then learning a lot of new things. I dont know about Islamabad but in my lawn here in Karachi, american grass is doing great but requires a lot of water.
Zeeshan
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Welcome to the forum Hashim, American grass is same as Korean grass Zoysia tenuifolia. If you intent to grow grass, then plant it before October as the cooler months will markedly slow down its growth..
etchemzee

Post by etchemzee »

Thanx a lot friends for your warm welcome.

It is really heartening to read so many responses to my message.

I am especially grateful to Sara, Zeeshan and Izhar for there valuable suggestions.

Izhar dear, as far as my info about both grasses (American vs Korean) is that the American grass spreads over the soil thru strands which further produce roots and keep spreading, whereas, the korean spreads under the top soil and only the grass blades spring out of the soil....... Any comments?
Hashim

Return to “Introduction”