NEW TO GARDENING

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

Rehman
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: I am beginner in gardening. I am growing Roses & mostly Bulb plants.

NEW TO GARDENING

Post by Rehman »

I am a retired person & recently started growing Roses, Motia & the Bulbs. I have Glads, Lilly's & other bulb plants. So new that even remembering the names is a problem. :D . Anyway I am having problem with Narcissus flower. The bulbs they multiply but I have yet to get flowers. By the way all my flowers grow in pots except Roses. I need help for Narcissus.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: NEW TO GARDENING

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Welcome to the Forum Abdul Rehman. Please do not mind but write Abdul in the start of the name. Senior members will InShaAllah answer your question.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

welcome to our forum sir, we will try our level best to help you regarding your Narcissus.
few questions, is it local Gul-e-Nargis that you have?
for how long it has not flowered for you?
what kind of potting mix you are using?
in what direction you have placed your pots, means how many hours of sunlight they receive?
and in what sort of condition they are nowadays?

if you have local Nargis then it should not be a problem as its the least fussy bulb in Pakistan and it flower with no care and even they flourish in wild against all odds, if you answer above mentioned questions then we may be able to help.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Rehman
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: I am beginner in gardening. I am growing Roses & mostly Bulb plants.

Post by Rehman »

Mr.Mustansir Billah & Mr.Hamad,
My name is Iftikhar-ur-Rehman & not Abdul Rehman. I got the bulbs from a friend, so I will have to to confirm if they are local or not. In her garden they flower but as I am using pots to grow them, I am having problems. I am trying since last 2 years. I am using the mixture I bought from a a nursery in Rawalpindi. The pots are placed in the sun. By the way I am using the same mix for my other flowers and I get flowers.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

hmmm

type is yet to confirm once its done we will be in a better position to guide

few more things
what is the size of your pot and how many bulbs do you have per pot
and most of Narcissus and Daffodils produce flower and flourish in normal garden soil and don't require any manure or fertiliser
two year is good enough time and nowadays is their flowering season, my nargis is on flowers and when they go dormant where do you place them, do you leave them in pots or you dig them up and store them indoors, and also post some pics if you can, and another reason could be their size, if they were bulblets they may take some time means couple of years to grow and start flowering.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
marif
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Kitchen Gardening, all seasonal Vegetables and herbs.

Post by marif »

Welcome to a hobby of Gardening, Sir Iftikhar ur Rehman. Having a good book in your hand and sitting in your beautiful garden, with all the colorful flowers around you,in a pleasant weather, is just like you are sitting in heaven, and after retirement it is the best way to spend your quality time :-)))
Sir, it seems that you are a flower lover :-)) it is good, but sir, I am sure two or three pots with vegetable plants will also give you a immense satisfaction, when they will flower and give you fruit :-))) next month or so it will be a season of summer vegetable like tomatoes, Basil, cucumber etc. and tomato and Basil plants, specially cherry tomato do very well in pots... give it a try Sir,
Regards
Arif
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

I strongly support Mr.Arif's views & suggestions. You must add vegetables-if no ground space available then in gamlas/other containers & some common fruit trees also. These are a must for making it a wholesome home garden,especially for a retired person, to keep a healthy activity & then sit back in the garden & enjoy. Happy & an enjoyable gardening.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by Rehman » January 5th, 2014, 1:01 pm
Anyway I am having problem with Narcissus flower. The bulbs they multiply but I have yet to get flowers. By the way all my flowers grow in pots except Roses. I need help for Narcissus.
Narcissus/Daffodils require a well drained site and sunlight these days (at least 5 hours). They dislike rich soils which has high % of nitrogen like cow manure. This is the reason why they prefer deep loam soil (having good proportions of sand, silt and clay) which has low % of nitrogen and phosphorus. The average garden soil in Pakistan is mostly clay in nature.
I am assuming that the leaves of your narcicussus are sprouting and the reason for not flowering may be the high % of nitrogen in your soil. Would suggest that you should do nothing to the soil of your narcissus in pots and give them only sulphate of potash fertliser or Tomato fertliser which has NPK ration 5:5:10. Hopefully this would induce flowering.
I have noticed that some people tend to cut their leaves after flowering which is a mistake as they leaves provide nourishment to the bulbs and should be removed only when they die back on their own. Daffodils/Narcissus enter the dormancy period on their own and start sprouting.

Return to “Introduction”