Seeker: Herbs in Islamabad

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

xenyen
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Herbs, medicinal plants

Seeker: Herbs in Islamabad

Post by xenyen »

Assalamualaikum wr wb.

Pleasant to stumble upon this forum, where inshaAllah there's lots of info to be shared. Great idea. Seems to be a lot of Inspiring, knowledgeable people here.

I've very interested in learning about herbs in Pakistan, and using them for health and well being.

This happened after found had substantial health benefits from using Hamdard / Qarshi products, and particular herbs I obtained from all over. I chose the Hamdard / Qarshi products based on their ingredients' list, whether they contained the herbs I wanted, and used them accordingly.

Would love to know where to get good quality herbs in Islamabad! So far it's online or the Kashmir Pansar... looking for good hakeems and pansars.... tips much appreciated!!

Recently developed an interest in aromatherapy, and seeking out the herbs I need, gradually.

So I'm basically here to learn more about medicinal herbs, their names in various languages, availability, cultivation, etc, and share what I learn along the way.

For starters, here's the list I'm working on acquiring (mainly essential oils).... filling in the blanks a little daily.

Look forward...

Benzoin - Styrax Benzoin - Styrax Tonkinensis - thick - golden brown -Urdu. Chiraita. Punjabi chiretta - Ban Zawaan - Luban - kamkam tree - Qarshi tonic, Anjbar contains it

Cedarwood - Atlas Cedarwood - Cedrus Atlantica - light golden yellow - urdu cedrus deodara - deodar - deyar

Frankincense - olibanum - Boswellia Carterii - light yellow - thin - urdu luban - salai guggal- kundur-bukhoor???- lobana- sanskrit shallaki - hindi shallaki, kundur, luban guggula mara

Myrrh - Commiphora Myrrha - Golden Yellow / Brown URDU Mur Maki, Myrrh, Bol, ganqaras, bilsan, guggul, nees , MUKKUL, sindhi - tindoor

Oakmoss - Oakmoss Absolute - Evernia Prunastri - thin - light brown -URDU - kaaion jo shah baloot ki darakhton pay ugtay hain

Patchouli - Pogostemon Cablin - Deep Golden Brown - Medium thick -URDU - meetha pudina

Spikenard - Nardostachys Jatamansi - Golden Yellow - Medium -URDU -Balchad-Balchar- sumbul ut teeb -mamsi - jatila - Billilotan, Balchhar, Chharguddi

^^Vetiver - Vetiveria zizanoides - dark brown - thick -URDU - Aseer, Daron, Khas.khaskhas sanskrit -abhaya, amrinala

cardamom - elettaria cardamomum - elaichi - clear oil

clary sage - salvia sclarea - URDU behman safed
neroli -Citrus aurantium bigaradia - Rutaceae -

^^orange - citrus aurantum sinensis

patchouli*

Rose - rosa damascena - gulab

^^Sandalwood - santalum album - URDU sandal

ylang ylang cananga odorata var genuina - URDU yalang yalang

Cederwood*

^^Cinnamon
Juniper
Lemongrasss
^^Clove
^^Coriander
Cypress
Geranium
Ginger
Grapefruit
Mandarin
Peppermint
Petitrain-
^^Rosemary
^^Sandalwood*
Spearmint
^^Vetiver*
Ylang Ylang*
^^Jasmine
^^Lavender
Lemon
Mandarin*
Melissa
Neroli*
^^Orange*
Rose*
^^Sandalwood**
Tangerine
Ylang Ylang**

Basil
Bergamot**
^^Chamomile
Cypress**
Peppermint*
Spearmint*
Cypress***
Elemi
Frankincense*
Helichrysum
Juniper*
Marjoram
Patchouli***
^^Rosemary*
^^Sandalwood***
^^Vetiver**
Galbanum
Gurjum
Helichrysum*
^^Jasmine***
^^Lavender*
Myrrh*
Neroli**
Rose***
Rosewood
^^Sandalwood****
Spikenard**
^^Vetiver***

Agarwood
Vanilla beans
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Seeker: Herbs in Islamabad

Post by M Farooq »

Wow, this is an ambitious list, not many of these grow in Islamabad and Pakistan to begin with.

I think a great resource for you would be the Flora of Pakistan website. This list contains a very comprehensive list of all plants which naturally grow in Pakistan. They often list the local names, botanical pictures, and typical areas where these plants grow naturally. The only drawback is that you have to know the Latin name of the plant which is not difficult to find from the web. If you don't find your herb's name in the list, it (probably) means that particular herb does not naturally grow in Pakistan.

Here is the link:
http://www.efloras.org/flora_page.aspx?flora_id=5

The irony is that this database of Pakistani plants and the hard work of Pakistani scientists is maintained by USA (with thanks) not by our govt.!
suffi
City: Haripur
Gardening Interests: kitchen gardenign , landscaping, medicinal plants reading and cultivation,

Post by suffi »

brother i m working in qarshi industry hattar haripur . we have herbal garden in haripur . most of plants available in our garden u can visit our garden.
xenyen

Post by xenyen »

M Farooq wrote:Wow, this is an ambitious list, not many of these grow in Islamabad and Pakistan to begin with.

I think a great resource for you would be the Flora of Pakistan website. This list contains a very comprehensive list of all plants which naturally grow in Pakistan. They often list the local names, botanical pictures, and typical areas where these plants grow naturally. The only drawback is that you have to know the Latin name of the plant which is not difficult to find from the web. If you don't find your herb's name in the list, it (probably) means that particular herb does not naturally grow in Pakistan.

Here is the link:
http://www.efloras.org/flora_page.aspx?flora_id=5

The irony is that this database of Pakistani plants and the hard work of Pakistani scientists is maintained by USA (with thanks) not by our govt.!
Assalamualaikum wr wb, M Farooq.. thanks for such a useful resource! I am using the website you provided, it is saving a lot of time. Luckily for latin names etc there are a plethora of websites that help.

Absolutely.. there are far more beneficial herbs in the subcontinent than in other areas (according to a book on Natural Remedies I am reading). Our local pansar said they don't have a catalogue of their herbs, they have far too many ! Unfortunately we're not generally aware of these local remedies, and their foreign equivalents are well marketed.

Well, let's hope we change all that inshaAllah.

My search is going well, by the way. Found a local nursery where the proprietor is very knowledgeable and helpful (asks for latin names.. has dealt with a lot of foreigners).

Our front room is full of plants now; We're filling up the window with roses, as it's almost width of the room, and have enormous potted plants all over.. feels amazing!

Fun.
xenyen

Post by xenyen »

suffi wrote:brother i m working in qarshi industry hattar haripur . we have herbal garden in haripur . most of plants available in our garden u can visit our garden.

Assalamualaikum wr wb, brother Suffi.

JazzakAllah khairan for the info and invitation :-)

I buy a lot of Qarshi products, and would love to visit your garden when possible.

One totally unrelated question: there was a wonderful water purifying product available from Qarshi, called "aab e nuqra" which I used to put in our drinking water. Not available anywhere for the past year or so.. what's up? Calls elicited the information that production was stopped. Why? It's been around for ages!!!

Do let me know .. and I wonder if we can order herbs from your Haripur center?

Thanks
Mrs REhman
City: islamabad
Gardening Interests: organic, kithcen gardening in pots

Post by Mrs REhman »

Aoa Xenyen....if u get any info nabout it ...let me know as well....myu mom got hold of a bottle...but she could not get any others..that was one effective product...
Mrs Bilal
City: Rahim yar khan

Post by Mrs Bilal »

Salam
can someone help from where can I buy Clary Sage/oil and what its common name in Urdu? I need it really urgent for a medical reason but don't have the time to order its oil from abroad. Anything either the herb its oil or even attar will do.
thank you so much
Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Hi Mrs Bilal. I once bought rosemary and sage in little gamlas from Ali farm. It's in the same row as all the nurseries of Peshawar mor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
actilla
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

stromectol mercury drug

Post by actilla »

<a href=https://stromectol.autos/>buy stromectol 3mg</a> 90 Rolapitant does not interact with cytochrome CYP3A4 and therefore does not require dose adjustments of concomitantly administered drugs metabolised by CYP3A4, particularly dexamethasone
accoure
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

tamoxifen and antidepressants uk

Post by accoure »

26, 29, 30 The onset of action of paroxetine is reported to be approximately 6 weeks <a href=http://nolvadex.one/>cheap online nolvadex</a>

Return to “Introduction”