i am a beginner in kitchen gardening

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

Mrs REhman
City: islamabad
Gardening Interests: organic, kithcen gardening in pots

i am a beginner in kitchen gardening

Post by Mrs REhman »

AOA every one! I am Mrs Rehman, I live in islamabad, in a flat. I am basically a teacher, and a mom of two adorable and young kids, the youngest being just 2 years old. We have recently shifted to this place and do not intend to move that early, so i planned to have my own kitchen garden, finally. I am planning to start a roof top garden, but first i need to get some info regarding the weight issues on any roof op garden. moreover i think i need to put some shade as well. That requires lots of tie and resources so it will have to weight for some time.

my second love besides kitchen gardening is fragrance plants and succulents.
other hobbies include book reading, trying new recipes, and making toys and stuff for my daughter's doll and doll house. :)
hnasir
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Re: i am a beginner in kitchen gardening

Post by hnasir »

Welcome to the forum Mrs. Rehman. Living in islamabad, you can grow a lot of things us southerners (read: Karachiites) cannot! It is sowing season, so perhaps other members from Punjab can help you out :)
Mrs REhman
City: islamabad
Gardening Interests: organic, kithcen gardening in pots

Post by Mrs REhman »

Hnasir sb
many thnx for a warm welcome.
till now i have been able to grow only mint and coriander in pots. i had green basil, but it died during the winters. i have not been able to grow anything else for my kitchen yet, but started growing different plants, i do not know the exact names but they are very common plants in almost every household that holds a small garden.
i have got celgonium/cellonium, money plant and aloe Vera as well. rest are just the shaded plants. I am looking forward to being more active in the forum.
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

Now a days is season for summer vegetables and if you can manage the vines, then practically all of them can be in pots. Other than that tomatoes can also be grown. Just see if you have enough sunshine.
I have sowed the seeds of practically every vegetable seed I could get hold of, some even I never knew as imported from china etc. Although I used to buy seeds from good shops keeping in mind that seeds would be of good quality, but they proved to be expensive and also not so special growth observed. last time I tried seeds from Sunday market (10 rupees each packet and I took all of them), and they incidentally gave very good results. Even as of today we are eating our own grown broccoli, cabbage, spinach, icebergs and lot more.
You should give it a try having seeds from there too and also from a good shop in Islamabad (e.g., Awan, Mehfuz, Green in F-8 Sector).

regards
Yawer
Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Post by Shazia Khurram »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429389331.204589.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429389309.271939.jpg
Hi! Kitchen gardens are always rewarding. My friend from Chak shazad farm sent me these pics. I'll update you if she tries to experiment with this strage veg/fruit above.

Return to “Introduction”