Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

akheilos
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: More interested in agricultural research...

Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

Post by akheilos »

Assalamualaikum,

I am a PhD student. I use wild strawberry as a model species to do research.

I am interested to know where and what kind of wild strawberries can I find in Pakistan?

I research on Strawberry and am interested in the varities present in Pakistan...I had written to the govt and some institutes (a total of 13 emails) but only 1 replied and the guy sounded really weird....I have asked 1-2 relatives in Pakistan to help but I doubt that is enough...So here is what I need help in:

I need to know if there is different varieties of wild strawberry present in Pakistan...and no not from your back garden but wild strawberries ...I know there are but I cant seem to get my hands on them....

If you know someone in some agriculture or breeding institutes or NGO or some companies can I please get some websites...

I am willing to start a collaboration if needed but for now I just want wild strawberry plants shipped to Europe...I collaborate with 5 research stations....

Below are examples:

Fragaria vesca plants grow to around 0.3 m (1 ft) high, short, woody stems and a basal rosette of compound leaves, with 3 coarsely toothed leaflets around 6 cm (2.5 in) long. The plants are characterized by long arching runners or stolons, which form new plantlets at the tip, and that allow them to reproduce vegetatively as well as by seed. The small, white, 5-parted flowers, 1.25 to 2 cm (0.5 to 0.75 in), occur in small clusters. The strawberries formed in the wild, uncultivated types are quite small, 1 to 2 cm (0.25 to 0.75 in) across, and generally ripen to red (although there is a white form).

Fragaria virginiana plants are characterized by basal rosette of compound leaves, 2.5 to 10 cm (1 to 4 in) long, with 3 leaflets, each having 4 to 8 pairs of teeth. The plants are characterized by long arching runners or stolons, and that allow them to reproduce vegetatively as well as by seed. The small, white, 5-parted flowers, 0.5 to 2.5 cm (0.25 to 1 in) across, occur in small clusters. The strawberries are quite small, 0.5 to 2 cm (0.25 to 0.75 in) across, and generally ripen to red.

The flowers are white with many yellow stamens and pistils. There are ten small green sepals under the petals. The varieties of F. virginiana are distinct from the other two species by the somewhat elongated gray-green leaves, finer textured like the woodland strawberry, lower growing like the coastal. This species is found in drier meadows and open woodlands east of the Cascades, and so can take somewhat harsher conditions than its west-of-the-mountains cousins.

Fragaria iinumae is known for its unique characters not found in other Fragaria diploids such as the glaucous leaves. It has sympodial runners and its flowers have six to nine petals per flower, while Fragaria flowers commonly have five

Fragaria chiloensis typically grows to a height of five to twenty centimeters. Leaves are leathery with a petiole generally two to twenty cm; blades are one to six cm long and obovate, densely hairy below, generally glabrous above. Each leaf is rounded to truncate, with typically seven to eleven teeth. The whitish flower is generally two to four cm wide.

I have attached 2 pages of a journal article for how to differentiate these species...Well honestly speaking since I am a molecular biologist I cant really bother of how to differentiate them....they all look the sameto me :ashamed: ...Only Horticulturist or some Botanist would be able to differentiate hence am asking for help from those who know someone who is doing some form of research on these who can tell where they can find.... yes I need to know the habitat (where it is found/ picked / last seen ...send pix if you can or something....

Yellowish leaflets; petiolules almost absent

Oblate to globose berries; pale green skin with a red blush; firm flesh; acidic applelike aroma;

Fragaria nubicola is a species of strawberry native to the Himalaya.

This one was reported in Pakistan...However the bloody person who reported it never replied my email and the other person whom I wrote to told me it was Fragaria Vesca (which we are not interested in)
akheilos

Re: Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

Post by akheilos »

I would very much appreciate fotos of strawberry plants growing in the wild...pictures of leaves, flower and if they are bearing fruits pictures of the fruit would also be appreciated...Basically any information about strawberries in Pakistan.
suffi
City: Haripur
Gardening Interests: kitchen gardenign , landscaping, medicinal plants reading and cultivation,

Post by suffi »

Dear brother ,
you can find the different species of wild strawberry in northern area of Pakistan. specially swat .
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Did you try NARC in Islamabad?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

khabbab wrote:Did you try NARC in Islamabad?
I emailed them....I emailed some 3-5 uni/centers but only 1 replied gave me reference to another person who "would know about strawberry" BUT he MR.reference either doesnt know how to check his email or just didnt reply :(
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

suffi wrote:Dear brother ,
you can find the different species of wild strawberry in northern area of Pakistan. specially swat .
I need photos/ confirmation/ samples to prove they are different species not just different accessions of the already known species.

For now I am starting with basics....Asking people on forums for fotos of plant, leaf and flower (to see the different ones available)
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

Why do all my posts require mods to check?
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

I found a video for those of you who go in the wild - jungle trekking or just belong to the Northern areas but it is a Youtube video....hopefully it can serve as a guide...

[youtube]5LSUEk0132k[/youtube]
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

akheilos wrote:I found a video for those of you who go in the wild - jungle trekking or just belong to the Northern areas but it is a Youtube video....hopefully it can serve as a guide...

[youtube]5LSUEk0132k[/youtube]

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSUEk0132k[/youtube]
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Dear Mr./Ms Akheilos, I highly appreciate your efforts and enthusiasm for your research on local plants. Don't be disappointed by the lack of replies. There are couple of reasons that you may not be getting the replies, even from those who you expect that they know the answers. No. 1 is that they do not know the specifics, the second case is that they are genuinely hardcore incompetent people who are occupying research positions in the govt / faculty and the third is that there is no incentive for them to help you. In short, you have to help yourself i.e. it is your PhD project so you have to do the research yourself, otherwise if it were so easy, anyone could have done it.

Have you checked proper and professional databases such as Flora of Pakistan (several volumes) to begin with and have you visited libraries?

Here is one example: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx? ... =200010860

Also check numerous Flora of (British) India volumes by our former British masters etc, and above all the The Plant list which contains the information about all plants. The plant list also takes you to herbarium specimens

http://www.theplantlist.org/

Best of luck.

Return to “Introduction”