Hello from Thatta/Karachi

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Hello from Thatta/Karachi

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

For better understanding give us your exact location in in the Indus river delta, The nearest town on the Google map etc. How have the rains and flood affected you?
khizerabbasi
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: Blooms in deserts and orchards and forests. Nature at its best.

Post by khizerabbasi »

Hey guys thanks so much for all the great and helpful responses. I will definitely be posting pics in this thread and updating it with more information to get more pin-pointed suggestions. My father's lands are located in the Mirpur Sakro Taluka, in the vicinity of the town of Buhara. You can actually even find it on google maps near the Buhara town by the name of Abbasi farm. Problem is rising sea levels. Every year we are barely able to keep the sea water in check. We have a over 100 acres large natural lake in our lands which used to be sweet, but because of rising sea levels has mostly turned salty (it drains right into a sea creek which reverses flow when during high tide months). I was thinking of initiating a mini mangrove plantation in the lake in areas where our land's irrigation water is drained. Not sure if its even feasible but I'm just exploring ideas. The rains were extensive this time of the year but we didn't experience any water logging since all the rain water drains into the lakes. So far the trees I have planted are conocarpus, sapodilla, moringa, neem, mango and lemon. Conocarpus and moringa till now seem like the most resistant to constant high velocity winds (mostly high during May, June and July). The lands were rented out to growers for over 20 years and incessant exposure to fertilizers and pesticides have had a detrimental effect on the soil profile. My goal is to diversify the crops, adopt ideas from agroforestry and somehow delay the effects of creeping sea water. A tall order, made all the more challenging in light of my acute lack knowledge or experience. Oh well, my hearts in the right place and hopefully with all the suggestions I will be getting from members here, I do hope to bring about some positive change.
khizerabbasi
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: Blooms in deserts and orchards and forests. Nature at its best.

Post by khizerabbasi »

Not sure if this image would show up. If it does, it shows the dyke that separates us from high tides, which last year were at unprecedented heights, only a few inches below the dyke. On the right is where the high tides hit and on the left is the lake adjacent to which I am trying to make a living. If you look up my location in google maps, you can see that geographically I'm much further inland from the ocean, but climate change has brought the ocean at our doorstep.

Return to “Introduction”