Hello from Thatta/Karachi

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

khizerabbasi
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: Blooms in deserts and orchards and forests. Nature at its best.

Hello from Thatta/Karachi

Post by khizerabbasi »

Assalam alaikum peeps, my name is Khizer Abbasi, a super amateur part farmer and part gardener. Highly curious about the way nature works and would love to see forests bloom in the deserts. I am trying to plant trees and grow crops in a very challenging environment. I have attached an image of where my farm is located. Prior to now I had no role to play at my father's farms but lately he has given me some land to cultivate as I see fit. Naturally, my first decision was to plant as many trees as I could around the plot I would like to eventually be building a living quarter in. Since I know little to nothing about trees or gardening, I am consequently facing a few challenges which I will be discussing in these forums very soon. Needless to say, this forum is a rich place to share ideas in and learn from each other's gardening journeys. Cheers and thank you all in advance for all the guidance I will be receiving from you guys =P.
Attachments
Where I am
Where I am
resizedimage.png (105.59 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Hello from Thatta/Karachi

Post by Izhar »

For fruits varieties of warm region you must start from the plants which are common in your region then slowly switching to expensive plants and fruit trees..
Khalid Abro
Gardening Interests: Cacti & Succulents, Fruit Trees, Vines, Herbs & Vegies

Post by Khalid Abro »

Welcome to the forum Khizer.

There are many options available for both local trees and fruit varieties however, i would recommend you to get authentic varieties before planting any fruit trees as it takes lots time and energy and after years of wait when you don't find the desired variety/result then it ends in disappointment.

In local trees there are many options available that not only help the local species of birds to flourish but also help to improve the environment as well.

I hope you will learn a lot from the forum members.
khizerabbasi
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: Blooms in deserts and orchards and forests. Nature at its best.

Post by khizerabbasi »

Thanks for the prompt response guys. Khalid I would love to know about the local trees which will attract bird species and improve the environment, along with the biodiversity in the area. As you can see, my land is right next to the creeping sea and beyond our farms all land has already been taken up by rising sea levels. While our location was already super windy, the air is carrying a lot more salt than it used to. Unfortunately, its an environmental catastrophe that will in the coming years leave our lands uncultivable. I will be playing my little part by allying with mother nature and perhaps delaying the inevitable for a little longer. Once again, I thank you guys for being so forthcoming.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Mangroves, Conocarpus near sea part when they are large enough to stop the wind then go for coconut... kallar grass tolerates salty soils.. beach morning glory can be grown..
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

A visit to Islamabad NARC will go a long way for u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

I worked at thatta/makli during floods 2011. Indeed it's challenging. Do your best to know about the best suited crops bf embarking on the journey. Date palms r one of the best produce in these environments I believe

talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

There were some green energy initiatives there... Wind powered electricity?
Solar tube well is also very promising. If your land can have good irrigation then u have a good start. Also get your soul tested with agri dept. There were many patches of land in thatta that were incultuvable due to water logging and salinity. AlL these issues can be fixed but u have to know your soil first.
u r well educated and should do awesome work if u work with the help of the right prof ppl. There r really good n experienced ppl like brig Arif n Munir Sb on this forum. PM them and ask them for help

talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Keep this thread running with pics of ure land. It ll develop in to a reference overtime ia

talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

*soil*

Return to “Introduction”