Willing and Yearning to Learn

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

Shuaib Haq
City: Sargodha
Gardening Interests: Flowers and Greenery

Willing and Yearning to Learn

Post by Shuaib Haq »

Assalam o Alaikum and Hello Respected Members
I dont know how or why but i got attracted to flowers and greenery lately with out any knowledge of-course. Searched the net and found this wonderful forum about two months ago. Been reading it like syllabus since then almost one hour daily. Grasping concepts and clarifying what it is all about and how to go about.
I really admire the way people guide here and the in-depth knowledge they have, the years of experience they have gained and how easily they put into words for newcomers like myself.
People like Sir Muhammad Arif, Khabbab, Izhar, Farhan, Tahir, Umer, Rafique, Javaid, Hammad and all those who have guided and nurtured this forum all along through thick and thin. I have all the respect and admiration for you all.
At last after two months of reading and pondering this is what i have gathered for my start in this passion or obsession i would say.
Purchased seeds of sunflower (teddy bear & florenza red) , cosmos (sensation mix, double click), zinnia megallen mix, Vinca pacifica XP, Mirabilis Jalapa Mix, rudbeckia indian summer from sky seeds and some coco peat (These all are the easier ones and are in right temps to be sown from what I've gathered)
1. I plan to sow them directly in flower beds. The temperatures in sargodha are still below 15 C at night should i wait till first week of march ? (If yes then should i keep them in fridge till use ?)
2. My place is north facing and sun doesn't comes till 11 am due to shadow of house and huge sumbal, jaman, sufaida and kikar trees. Again after 4 pm it gets shadowy. In summers it might get around 6 hrs. Should i still try? Its my first try of sowing seeds after getting lots of inspiration from you all :)
3. I am preparing beds by digging 1 foot deep and then mixing manure with native soil half - half to a fine grainy composition. The native soil has salt deposits on it. But my petunia, dianthus, pansy, button daisy, snapdragon, salvia red are doing ok after same treatment. All seedlings from nursery transplanted in beds (jan 3rd week) are doing well, dianthus have started blooming after initial deadheading, button daisy almost 8-9 blooms while i am deadheading first blooms of petunias, pansy, and pinched snapdragon and salvia (grown bushy). Really, i can't believe i am using all these names and terms :)
4. After going through the seed sowing guides i have drawn the following seed sowing conclusions. Pl guide me if wrong.
5. Sunflowers : 1/2 inch deep
6. Cosmos : surface sow with light coco coir barely covering
7. Zinnias : 1/4 inch deep covered by coco coir
8. Rudbeckia: surface sow with light coco coir
9. Vinca : 1/4 inch deep and coco coir layer of seed thickness
10. Mirabilis: 1/4 inch deep with coco coir layer of seed thickness
11. All are to be kept moist by spraying till germination (7-14 days for all)
12. Spacing as per their spread and weeding all the way !
13. Fertilisers and insecticide etc queries once seedlings emerge :) In Shaa Allah

Tips and prayers are requested please. Anxiously Waiting.
May Allah bless you all with whats best for you - today and always !

Best Regards from a distance learning student of yours. Shuaib
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Willing and Yearning to Learn

Post by Izhar »

Welcome to the forum, you are doing all the right things... Sky seeds have bad reputation for sending old and expired seeds, so if your germination is not good then it could be the reason...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Have you access to canal water?
Shuaib Haq

Post by Shuaib Haq »

Thank You so much Sir Izhar
But this Sky Seed News is a bad indeed.

Sir Arif, Yes i CAN access canal water but presently i am using water from boring for home use and garden as well. As canal water has fixed times here like 90 mins twice a day.
Regards
Shuaib Haq

Post by Shuaib Haq »

Sir Arif
Just to clarify, the canal water that i can access is treated for comunity use. As it is not clean, majority of people in my area use bore water. Now if you mean that canal water which is directly used for irrigation purpose; then sorry i have no access to it.
Regards
Shuaib Haq

Post by Shuaib Haq »

Finally i have drawn a conclusion due to the bad germination experience of sky seeds.
As i prepared my first 10 feet flower bed i realized that since i would be requiring multiple flower beds for all my seeds, its better to start my seeds in clay pots (6 inch) than to prepare many beds and sow in-situ and then getting frustrated due to poor germination [emoji4]
So i will now get only zinnia megallan mix as a start for direct sowing in one bed from sunny view or pride seed store. If the sky seeds germinate in pots then that will be a bonus !
What do my seniors say on this plan B ?
Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I would suggest to first check the germination of seeds from Skyseeds... all summer annual seeds germinate within 15 days maximum.. zinnia germinate in 24 hours!! if you get the low germination then order.. summer season is long... you can wait...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

If your bore water is salt free then it is OK.
Shuaib Haq

Post by Shuaib Haq »

Yes Sir Arif the bore water is 'meetha'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
umarmuslim
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Im a Newbie

Post by umarmuslim »