Getting back in touch with Gardening at Karachi

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

Ali Ahmed
City: Karachi`
Gardening Interests: amateur gardener who just stepped out to explore.

Getting back in touch with Gardening at Karachi

Post by Ali Ahmed »

Hello everyone!
My name is Ali.Im a resident of Gulistan e jauhar, Karachi. I spent my early years in a Karachi University bungalow that had lush green lawns and plenty of flora and fauna.It is from there, i believe, my interest in nature grew.Had a hiatus for some years when we moved to Jauhar and the medical study load piled on.Finally, Im getting back in touch with Gardening.Presently, i am growing potted aloe vera and grape vine, a Curry tree and a lemon tree in ground and a couple of roses in pots.I have also developed an infatuation for floral vines which are low maintenance.

Need lots of help and guidance if someone is willing.

Thanks!
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Getting back in touch with Gardening at Karachi

Post by Izhar »

Welcome to the forum... you can get a lot of information from the forum if you are willing to search....
Ali Ahmed

Post by Ali Ahmed »

I went through quite a lot of posts.It was uplifting to see a community so eager to help out each other in this great hobby.
I''d like to share some of my plants here.Your feedback would be most welcome!
Attachments
I dont know the name of this plant but its a very light shade of green and grows VERY easily from cuttings.Loved it for my attempt at vertical gardening.
I dont know the name of this plant but its a very light shade of green and grows VERY easily from cuttings.Loved it for my attempt at vertical gardening.
Ali Ahmed

Post by Ali Ahmed »

a look at my plants!
Attachments
The grapevine i bought around 2 months back.it has gained quite a lot of height but has been sheddin its older leaves.There however are new leaves sprouting at the apex.
The grapevine i bought around 2 months back.it has gained quite a lot of height but has been sheddin its older leaves.There however are new leaves sprouting at the apex.
The orange rose plant has given a lot of blooms.i bought this 3 months ago and transplanted into a bigger pot (seen in the picture)
The orange rose plant has given a lot of blooms.i bought this 3 months ago and transplanted into a bigger pot (seen in the picture)
These are some Torai (vegetable) vines im trying to grow in vertical gardening.Theres a podina (mint)pot under the last boottle
These are some Torai (vegetable) vines im trying to grow in vertical gardening.Theres a podina (mint)pot under the last boottle
Ali Ahmed

Post by Ali Ahmed »

a few more
Attachments
Bought this allamanda yesterday.Thinking of growing it in the big pot along with the gate so that it can grow on the iron anti-climb spikes above the gate.
Bought this allamanda yesterday.Thinking of growing it in the big pot along with the gate so that it can grow on the iron anti-climb spikes above the gate.
I bought this white rose  plant along with the orange one.Where the orange one has given multiple blooms and is generally doing well, the white one shed its apical leaves and stems and hasnt flowered ever since it was transplanted into this pot.Any suggestions?
I bought this white rose plant along with the orange one.Where the orange one has given multiple blooms and is generally doing well, the white one shed its apical leaves and stems and hasnt flowered ever since it was transplanted into this pot.Any suggestions?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

The light green leaf vine is ornamental sweet potato...
Kindly search for "root stock", "junglee" and "graft".... for your roses...
Ali Ahmed

Post by Ali Ahmed »

Thank you!
I had another query.Ive had this raat ki raani plant in the same pot for over 3 years now but its never climbed up the wall or flowered.Ive been feeding it khaad and watering i regularly too but it doesnt seem to gain height.what am i doing wrong?
Attachments
12472603_10154089743361303_9051853906114899208_n.jpg
Ali Ahmed

Post by Ali Ahmed »

Also Izhar bhai, are Marva and Kamini the different varieties of the same plant or are they the different names of the same plant.
I read your posts about them and was delighted to know they are highly fragrant and bloom continuously.Just what i need to make a small border hedge in my mini-lawn.
Would you happen to know if any of the nurseries on main university road or the ones near malir cantt gate 5 have marwa/kamini?
Ali Ahmed

Post by Ali Ahmed »

Izhar bhai i just found this post from 2011,viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41

do you still have the marva/kamini seeds that you could give me? if so,how can i get them from you?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Poor RANI in a servant quarter, who told you it was a climber?
Select pots according to eventual size of a plant.

Return to “Introduction”