Acquire Free Seeds or Donate Seeds to the Bank

Moderator: Izhar

Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: Seed Bank Project

Post by Tahir Khan »

M Farooq wrote:Let me chip in with my two cents:

If other members have their own seed banks, why don't we make bank branches rather than collecting at one centralized bank?
Seed viability may be an issue from place to place. All members can disclose their seeds treasure in the list here- the rest can benefit from individual bank branches.
very right Farooq sb, i store my seeds in air tight poly bags and then an air tight glass bottle so they will be viable for a long time but other members should also put their part in as branches in case one branch fails due to any reason they can take over :)
saqib
City: Gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Perennials,Bulbs

Post by saqib »

Seeds bank is great initiative for new gardeners and for those living in small cities where ornamental seed shops are rare
saqib
City: Gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Perennials,Bulbs

Re: Seed Bank

Post by saqib »

Tahir Khan wrote:Sure i already have a seed bank a large glass bottle in a fridge for seed deposit, i can manage some more :mrgreen:
Tahir sb can you plz categorize which seeds should be stored in fridge and which at room temperature
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

This is my point of view...house may differ and devise whatever is agreed upon.

Branches is a good idea....but i think centralization is also necessary, We need to have one or few point of contacts. This will enable us to know what we have, ease of distribution etc.

Seed bank is supposedly a pilot welfare/sharing project. If we let contributing members maintain their seed banks....seed bank will never have the integrity that "Bank" is suppose to have........

I would submit that in due time, when we observe that our bank is getting healthier and healthier, we devise province wise chapters. But in the beginning we may focus on one point so that it becomes a concentrated effort.

@Tahir...was trying to contact you because i was in Islo.....but could not contact you due number. So will post tomorrow. Insha Allah.

All members interested in donating seeds are requested to ask from Tahir Sb's.... his address through PM.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Rafique Sb can you volunteer for Lahore...in times to come?
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

I dont have any objection. Would be pleasure to do...

I second the suggestion to control the bank centrally... as explained by Farhan.

All branches should update central command about deposits and distribution through branches......for transparency.
Rafique
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thankyou Rafique Sb

Another point.......Do not consider Tahir Sb as Tahir Sb :-) (in this case)....rather a BANK :-)....(Similarly other members in future). In this way, asking members would not have to contact/request many members if they desire couple of different seeds available with different people, thereby asker will feel comfortable because he is not asking an individual but sort of an entity, a cloaked man(of course entities are run by people)

Seed viability point is a very valid point raised by Farooq Sb...
However we should assume Tahir Bhai has been saving his seeds well :-)............but the most important point is, we are not professional seed collectors/sellers, and in all demands by members in future they should keep in mind that sometimes seeds might fail/they may not come true etc etc. These seeds in instances will be collected by new gardeners and might be infertile due any reason. Though the bank will make an effort to distinguish the right from wrong....But asking member will have to compromise sometimes.

Another benefit of centralization is to keep the record of seeds awarded, collected and re-collected. By recollection i mean....that asking member will have to return some/any variety seeds.....whenever he can. This return is not aimed to get something out of the asking member but just a gesture that everyone contributes.....for the good.

Redundancy concern of Tahir Sb is also valid but that is possible when we have handsome stock available.
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

My suggestion:
Seeds should be send through VPP.The person requesting should bear the courier charges.
Tahir Khan

Re: Seed Bank

Post by Tahir Khan »

saqib wrote:
Tahir Khan wrote:Sure i already have a seed bank a large glass bottle in a fridge for seed deposit, i can manage some more :mrgreen:
Tahir sb can you plz categorize which seeds should be stored in fridge and which at room temperature
Saqib Bhai all seeds should be stored in an airtight container and stored in a cool cellar or a fridge, i stored verbena seeds 4 years ago and forgot about them. I planted them and got 100% germination :geek:
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

ka_khan wrote:My suggestion:
Seeds should be send through VPP.The person requesting should bear the courier charges.
A good suggestion, but i doubt that it may deter some new members from requesting free seeds :!:

Return to “Seed Bank”