Seed Bank Project

Acquire Free Seeds or Donate Seeds to the Bank

Moderator: Izhar

Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: Seed Bank Project

Post by Tahir Khan »

I have no objections but i want to add some suggestions, first is that i have noticed over the years that some new members join the forum, ask for seeds, they get the seeds and they are never to be found again :oops:

That is not a healthy sign for promoting gardening in Pakistan, i would suggest that we should set a limit for the new members and the permanent members who contribute to the forum dearly that how many varieties/quantities of seeds/bulbs etc they can get and if they prove to be good members they can also get occasional seed gifts on seasons start.... :)

The postage if a new member cannot or is not able to pay we can put in monetary donations as well that can be used for postage from the forum donations or a new fund for this project, whatever is appropriate and possible...

Moderators can delete this post after reading if they found it inappropriate :ugeek:
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I think as a Bank ..you have full liberty to decide the modalities.

Postage should primarily be the responsibility of the asker. Otherwise the forum will support.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Great job guys ;), I wish that I would be contributing but couldn't because of my geographic limitations but may be in near future I will open an account in your bank. Thumbs up guys keep it up :)

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Tahir Khan wrote:I have no objections but i want to add some suggestions, first is that i have noticed over the years that some new members join the forum, ask for seeds, they get the seeds and they are never to be found again :oops:

That is not a healthy sign for promoting gardening in Pakistan, i would suggest that we should set a limit for the new members and the permanent members who contribute to the forum dearly that how many varieties/quantities of seeds/bulbs etc they can get and if they prove to be good members they can also get occasional seed gifts on seasons start.... :)

The postage if a new member cannot or is not able to pay we can put in monetary donations as well that can be used for postage from the forum donations or a new fund for this project, whatever is appropriate and possible...

Moderators can delete this post after reading if they found it inappropriate :ugeek:
Tahir shb, I agree with your and Farhan's suggestion that the person who needs the seeds can pay the postage. It should be like any other service in the world. The main advantage of the in my mind was getting rare seeds/bulbs etc or seeds which are not commonly available. Common seeds can be easily purchased elsewhere.

I am not in favour of restricting non-contributors (or those who ungratefully vanish)...just consider them for the sake of savaab...because a plant or tree is sadqa-e-jaria.

For example, long time ago I had a bag of wood rose seeds found after lot of search and waiting from USA; the seeds weren't very viable. It is a vine which produces beautiful wood like flowers that stay forever. No nursery in Karachi, Islamabad "knew" about it...so such plants are to be found with "collector" gardeners..those who collect randomly...some treasures from here and there. So if such a bank had existed then, I would have rather asked hobbyists rather than dar-ba-dar bhatakna for seeds :-). Same goes for purple Bauhinia seeds- still in my wish list along with this vine.
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Tahir Khan is right about the seed seekers.If someone just joins to get a seed,its not good.The purpose of forums world wide is to share information and knowledge.The members should be contributing to forum and data base of information is build.
The admin could set the limit of say 50 posts for a member to have his share from 'the Bank' or if a new member is contributing much,he may qualify.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I could not contribute about seeds but waiting to open a bank account in this bank... :)
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I think its a valid suggestion by ka khan......we can say place a restriction that member having less than 10 post does not qualify for seed.

After all the modalities have been finalized we will display those as rules in other thread where seed list will be displayed for asking members.
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Hamad wrote:Great job guys ;), I wish that I would be contributing but couldn't because of my geographic limitations but may be in near future I will open an account in your bank. Thumbs up guys keep it up :)

Hamad
Thanks Hamad bhai :)
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

M Farooq wrote:
Tahir Khan wrote:I have no objections but i want to add some suggestions, first is that i have noticed over the years that some new members join the forum, ask for seeds, they get the seeds and they are never to be found again :oops:

Tahir shb, I agree with your and Farhan's suggestion that the person who needs the seeds can pay the postage. It should be like any other service in the world. The main advantage of the in my mind was getting rare seeds/bulbs etc or seeds which are not commonly available. Common seeds can be easily purchased elsewhere.

I am not in favour of restricting non-contributors (or those who ungratefully vanish)...just consider them for the sake of savaab...because a plant or tree is sadqa-e-jaria.

For example, long time ago I had a bag of wood rose seeds found after lot of search and waiting from USA; the seeds weren't very viable. It is a vine which produces beautiful wood like flowers that stay forever. No nursery in Karachi, Islamabad "knew" about it...so such plants are to be found with "collector" gardeners..those who collect randomly...some treasures from here and there. So if such a bank had existed then, I would have rather asked hobbyists rather than dar-ba-dar bhatakna for seeds :-). Same goes for purple Bauhinia seeds- still in my wish list along with this vine.
I agree Sir, i always collect seeds for the sake of proliferating the enthusiasm of gardening around, i hardly plant 5-10 seeds of cypress vine every year and right now i may have a stock of thousand years with me but still i do save seeds for the sake of giving them to others.... as my mother says..Har saal zakat nikal dia karo podon ki ALLAH aur ziada deta hai :D

And talking about modalities and restrictions every member on this forum has the liberty to discuss these because opinion matters a lot when working collectively, i constantly add newer plant seeds that i find and if i have less the first year i re-grow them and save their seeds again to increase the stock.
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Mustansir Billah wrote:I could not contribute about seeds but waiting to open a bank account in this bank... :)
But you can contribute by posting information about plants, care and their management, you can open the seed account later :)

Return to “Seed Bank”