Know about important happenings on Forum & Gardening World

Moderator: Izhar

haroon2rasheed
City: islamabad
Gardening Interests: rockie botanist,
searching for plants

Plants Database in Pakistan

Post by haroon2rasheed »

We here at National University of Computing and emerging sciences are trying to develop a system that will be used to recognize plants by taking the photographs of the plants leaf.

In order to this successfully we required labeled dataset of plant leafs of plants in Pakistan.

Right now i wanted to know from you people that if you anyone amongst you have access to such dataset with label images of leafs and there biological name. If so kindly guide me what i have to do get that dataset and if i have to contact some other person kindly redirect me.

I will be highly grateful for your cooperation and looking forward for your reply

Thank You,

Regards
Haroon Rasheed
National University of Computing and emerging Sciences
Department Of Computer Science
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Plants Database in Pakistan

Post by M Farooq »

Dear Haroon, It sounds like a very good idea to make a software that can recognize plants from plant pictures. As an academic project, that should be good enough. On the other hand, plants can be rarely identified on the basis of leaves alone. Leaves are one of the identifying factors; the detailed flower structure is more important i.e a diagram is more important than any picture. As a result, you may not find a professional database which has just pictures of leaves with botanical names.

Even if it is an academic project, you can make a computerized "key" for identifying common plant families of Pakistan. A user may add features, identify leaf types, number of petals, stamens etc. and then they can find the plant family. It may look something like this and be a better version than this one:

http://www.colby.edu/info.tech/BI211/PlantFamilyID.html

Also see flowers of India website. They have lots of flowers which are common here.

Also look at our amateur efforts: viewforum.php?f=37. This will give you hints of what plants are common in Pakistan.

Good luck. (I am not a botanist, otherwise I could have helped more).

Return to “Forum Announcements, Help, Gardening News & Events”