Plant Database Project

Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Re: Plant Database Project

Post by jdashraf »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:@Hamad, Jdashraf and Rafique.....Permission granted. Now you can access Form & the sub-forum "Flora of Pakistan"...See the sample entry in forum. Check out the form tab for data entry details.

You have permission to edit, create, delete in the said Sub-Forum

Please confirm.
Yes I can access the form and I can make new entries; few observations:-
It does not show the previous enteries
I cant add , delete or change the attribute (field name), neither I can change the data type of the field.
Few Suggestions:-
1. Existing entries should be visible so that data is not repeated.
2. There should be mandatory fields, so that entry is not acceptable w/o filling those fields.
3. All fields who have fixed values should be made available on drop down list, like entries of Life Cycle
4. Flowering months should have two sub-fields: From and TO. Moreover, Months should be available using calendar so that we have one format which is searchable (best practice in database)
5. Growing Areas should have further two options, 1) Complete Pakistan, 2) Select Cities: in this all major cities can be provided.
6. Can we configure some check to dis-allow duplication of entries? Check can be made on botanical name, etc
In database applications there is a best practice that every effort is made to provide the field data to the users to select from drop down list (for single entry) or from check box (for multiple entries against one field). This helps is consistency of data as well as helps in searching the data. Fields like description, etc is left open or those entries which could have thousands of different options are left as open text box for entry by users.
I hope I am not complicating the simple task....:) :oops:
Javed Ashraf.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

jdashraf wrote: Yes I can access the form and I can make new entries; few observations:-
I cant add , delete or change the attribute (field name), neither I can change the data type of the field.
2. There should be mandatory fields, so that entry is not acceptable w/o filling those fields.
3. All fields who have fixed values should be made available on drop down list, like entries of Life Cycle
4. Flowering months should have two sub-fields: From and TO. Moreover, Months should be available using calendar so that we have one format which is searchable (best practice in database)
5. Growing Areas should have further two options, 1) Complete Pakistan, 2) Select Cities: in this all major cities can be provided.
6. Can we configure some check to dis-allow duplication of entries? Check can be made on botanical name, etc
In database applications there is a best practice that every effort is made to provide the field data to the users to select from drop down list (for single entry) or from check box (for multiple entries against one field). This helps is consistency of data as well as helps in searching the data. Fields like description, etc is left open or those entries which could have thousands of different options are left as open text box for entry by users.

Partly true sir...let us keep things simple. 2-5 are advanced features, that information can be incorporated in the description section. However no. 1 is an excellent suggestion. Since that section is still in infacy, that's why I was suggesting that first we make a raw shared Word file (email is already made, I PM you guys) and one person enter the data weekly. Anyway my two cents...
jdashraf
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

M Farooq wrote:
jdashraf wrote: Yes I can access the form and I can make new entries; few observations:-

Partly true sir...let us keep things simple. 2-5 are advanced features, that information can be incorporated in the description section. However no. 1 is an excellent suggestion. Since that section is still in infacy, that's why I was suggesting that first we make a raw shared Word file (email is already made, I PM you guys) and one person enter the data weekly. Anyway my two cents...
Ok to make it simple, we can start with the word file and later we can insert the data in the database, if required. I have seen the template on joint account on yahoo mail. Lets try to fill the data.
Javed Ashraf.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

First entry added; We will weekly upload the entries in the forum. The File is present in the shared email. More volunteers are welcome. It is simple :-)
Presentation1.jpg
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Here is a screenshot of first entry.
Presentation2.jpg
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

farooq bhai i have entered one entry please check and tell me is it acceptable. :!:
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:farooq bhai i have entered one entry please check and tell me is it acceptable. :!:
Looks perfect to me :-), Just a request, that whosoever is updating the list, please use the previous Word file from the email it so that all entries are in one file.

Thanks.

Farooq
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

ok sir got the idea ,, :idea:
Tahir Khan
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

I am a bit late in the discussion but this can be made simpler for everyone... Farooq sb maybe burdened by this but it will ensure perfect execution.

Farooq sb you can PM us a common email address, we can send the pictures and filled word file with all the info of the plant to you....you can then scrutinize and upload whatever you feel is a perfect contribution to the Plant database. :idea:
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Tahir Khan wrote:I am a bit late in the discussion but this can be made simpler for everyone... Farooq sb maybe burdened by this but it will ensure perfect execution.

Farooq sb you can PM us a common email address, we can send the pictures and filled word file with all the info of the plant to you....you can then scrutinize and upload whatever you feel is a perfect contribution to the Plant database. :idea:
Tahir sb I already did send the email to those who were willing: Farhan (just for the sake of checking, and he is most welcome to have input entries), Javed Ashraf sb, Hammad bhai, and Rafique sb. Two of us have already entered. So two entries so far. I am sending you the email and the password as well. The reason for not disclosing the email here is to avoid spam. Those who are interested please pm me.
Last edited by M Farooq on July 1st, 2013, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum Improvement”