Plant Database Project

Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Plant Database Project

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Let me clear it once for all :-)

1) Make the entry by inserting data....when through with all fields and description press submit.

2) A new thread(or you can say entry) will be made in flora Pakistan sub-forum with the name of the plant(example is there in sub-forum)
Then on the post in the thread you can click edit and insert images as we do through [img] codes.

3) Entry can be edited afterwards also in the same way. if you fee you have entered something wrong or you want to add something in description etc etc you can go to thread and click edit...and make changes as you like it.

Dear Tahir sb, Ashraf sb, Rafique sb and Hammad sb, lets first decide the mode of working. First see, the solved example in "Flora Pakistan" by Mir sb on Cassia fistula. The final form of the entry looks very nice. I am slightly unclear about step no. 2. Lets assume we entered data for plant XYZ, have to do is to create a new thread by the name XYZ, enter a picture and later the data that we entered will be transferred automatically?
Farhan, please clarify?
The link for sample entry is here:
viewforum.php?f=37
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

click the edit tab in the example and you will understand what Mir Afzal Sb has done to insert pictures.
You do not need to create any thread....you just add the data in the form..thread is created automatically.

Now when you have submitted the form..that form is no more available as the data is transferred to the thread.Now if you want to edit any data or insert images it has to be done by editing the post in the thread.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (14.84 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Okay, thanks.

In my humble opinion, I don't think it will be appropriate to use internet pictures for our database. It sounds trivial, but once we publicize it we might have copyright issues. Flora of India, etc. have their own pictures. In one international botanical forum, when I used pictures from this forum, I got a message that if these pictures are not mine, they should be removed from their forum. Instead just links of the original be provided. So some pictures owners can become fussy, some ignore. We don't want to deal with that.

So far Hammad and I used our own pictures. We have lots of pictures in the Plant Identification or In What is blooming in your garden. And of course you guys have your own cameras and your own beautiful gardens. So volunteers can scavenge their own gardens as well as those sections.

Regards.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

yes farooq bhai it is essential to use self captured pictures.and another thing is this that we should give a logo of gardening pakistan on images so they should be further used with reference of gardening pakistan.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Guys i totally understand the method of entry, Farhan bhai has given clear instructions from Mir Afzal sb's entry... Its easy :) i'll make my first entry tomorrow INSHALLAH.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:yes farooq bhai it is essential to use self captured pictures.and another thing is this that we should give a logo of gardening pakistan on images so they should be further used with reference of gardening pakistan.
Bright idea Bro.. this way we can make our images copyright.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Tahir Khan wrote:
Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:yes farooq bhai it is essential to use self captured pictures.and another thing is this that we should give a logo of gardening pakistan on images so they should be further used with reference of gardening pakistan.
Bright idea Bro.. this way we can make our images copyright.

Lets go for direct entries. I haven't entered anything directly so far but Hamad seems to be facing some issues.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan bhai 4 direct entries in two days by two volunteers. Hope that spirit continues. Could you give the title's to Hamad bhai's entries? And why can't we see the picture right now?

Members, it is not that hard homework. Simply add your favourite plants in the "forms" tab. Please come forward. It just took me 5-6 minutes, to add one entry (once I had my own picture).
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

M Farooq wrote:why can't we see the picture right now?
yes farhan bhai same problem is with me and please delete one entry which is without images because they are same entries i was trying to submit entry and view result so i entered same entry two times in confusion :lol: sorry for disturbance sir but it is a new job and without any previous experience so please ignore our wrong acts,,, :D ;) :)
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Gr8 work guys....i will see what problem you are facing in the afternoon

BTW i think table would be better...so what i would do is make your entry in the thread appear like a table as mirafzal Sb example.

Return to “Forum Improvement”