Suggestion : An Illustrated List of Pakistani Garden Plants

Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Suggestion : An Illustrated List of Pakistani Garden Pla

Post by khabbab »

farhan137 wrote:@Khabbab.....how about we sponsor a new website. But again what are the possibilities of tailored made database ?
No database. The images are uploaded to Jalbum.net or any other host. Remember we can publish the same set of images/galleries to any website or blog. Still checking the tags support. But i think they can pull images from picasa. Face book and twitter integration is a must. If a photo is uploaded i would prefer it gets auto published at the face book page as well so more people know about it.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

A think a number of active contributors are agreeing on the idea- but have challenges in terms of implementation:

Tentatively, a number of things can be done from the following options:

1) Collect funds specifically to make a proper Garden Flora of Pakistan webpage. I am not into softwares or programming langauges but Khabbab knows all about them. The Flowers of India has shifted its focus on wild plants because the contribution is coming from photographers. We can start from garden plants because they are the most familiar ones.

2) Second option is that I maintain a private list again in too simple a process of making a list in Word, as well as members email me pictures and IDs. We can also make a separate email with a common password (among the team) in gmail- which will be solely dedicated to photo collection. I will verify from google/ or other sources. Google drive can also be used to store the images.

Once Mir Afzal sahab and team members are ready to lauch a such website, I can provide that list and use that email database. The only "problem" is that my images are currently from google but I do have their links saves as well for reference.

What do members think about it?

Regards,

Farooq
Khalid Abro
Gardening Interests: Cacti & Succulents, Fruit Trees, Vines, Herbs & Vegies

Post by Khalid Abro »

Farooq

I guess it is fair enough :) , we can start off from the basic collection and compilation of the list with you and as soon as the technical things get sorted out we can move there with better organization as we aim to.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

I second.Best of luck !
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

munir wrote:I second.Best of luck !
Khalid Abro wrote:Farooq

I guess it is fair enough :) , we can start off from the basic collection and compilation of the list with you and as soon as the technical things get sorted out we can move there with better organization as we aim to.
Okay, fair enough...but your input is needed...of course at your convenience. Send pictures+names of plants you guys have in your gardens at flora.pakistan2013@gmail.com, I will continue to compile the list and when people need it I will provide it. We can also have a common password so that email account can serve as a common database among interested members.

Regards,

Farooq
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Sure, when they fresh up after some weeks; presently they are pulled down.
Khalid Abro
Gardening Interests: Cacti & Succulents, Fruit Trees, Vines, Herbs & Vegies

Post by Khalid Abro »

Sure Farooq, I will start collecting pics of the ones that i have and few ones that my friends have for sending.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

I think till the time we find a permanent solution to the problem with regards to a proper software etc, we may open a few database threads covering different categories of native / imported plants. Knowledgeable members may post a short review of the plant which should have a few pics, along with their experience of raising those plants; including aspects like soil, temp & requirements, feeding, pruning / pinching etc. In case of non-native plants, pics posted should preferably be from Pakistan as pics from other countries / natural habitats may give incorrect idea of plant health, size, foliage development, flowering etc. Just my two cents. :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Let us eat only what we can digest.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

I agree with KBW. KBW, could you please suggest attributes of a plant/flower required to describe it which will form heading of columns in database. As a temporary measures members can prepare table in MS word or excel document. This will help members collect and compile the required information which can easily be imported in any database that we may end up using. Once we are done with finalizing the attributes,every one will prepare it on same format and it will be easy to sort, sift, search and export it to DB.
Regards.
Javed Ashraf.

Return to “Forum Improvement”