Forum Changes

Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Forum Changes

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Hello members i will be doing little bit tweaking and addition of small little stuff to our lovely forum in an endeavor to make it more user friendly in terms of referencing, searching and stuff. So bear with me.

I want help on two aspects

1) I request feedback on changes that i will make, meaningby introductory lines to new sub-forums, detailed account of instruction that each sub-forum should display and so on. Better placement and creation of sub-section etc. Meaningby what i would like is that you Vet all the changes so that we make it comprehensive, user friendly and more appealing.

2) Secondly i want loads of suggestions. Whatever you can think of. I will study the possibility if the tools permit and make the change.

Guys..its only possible if everyone contributes. Looking forward.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: Forum Changes

Post by Tahir Khan »

Lets change the color palette first... why not use lime green or soothing sky blues instead of the current olive green color :)
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

:shock:

Well i guess we need to add poll feature first :-)...so that we know how many members want a certain thing.

Well lets not get too technical from the start.....style change is a little advance for me i guess :P and we definitely need moral permission of Mirafzal Sb for that.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Hahahaha..... you are behind the wheel now a days :D ... but you are right we should have a poll and consent of Mir Sb and others as well.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

farhan137 wrote::shock:

Well i guess we need to add poll feature first :-)...so that we know how many members want a certain thing.

Well lets not get too technical from the start.....style change is a little advance for me i guess :P and we definitely need moral permission of Mirafzal Sb for that.
yes farhan bhai poll feature is necessary it will also help in competitions like photo contest
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

farhan bhai aap tu forum ka interface change karne lage the saath he aap ne apna id bhe change kar lya..... :lol:
and congratulations to all new title holders "supporter" :D it is very prominent in blue color
great job farhan bhai faorum is looking new now and user interface is also easy now. good changes....
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Its Just a start :-)
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I was studying the possibility of more ranks. Like we should have separate color/banner for senior members......so when i browsed the tools i found out that this group can be made with some post limit...... which i have set to be 400. Any member crossing that bench mark will automatically be added in senior member rank. Only available image is supporter i will try to change it to senior member if possible.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:I was studying the possibility of more ranks. Like we should have separate color/banner for senior members......so when i browsed the tools i found out that this group can be made with some post limit...... which i have set to be 400. Any member crossing that bench mark will automatically be added in senior member rank. Only available image is supporter i will try to change it to senior member if possible.
Many thanks for this "izzat afzai" of having a new label against our names. Creativity mein Farhan bhai ka koi sani nahi hey...

Coming to your suggestions:

1) I request feedback on changes that i will make, meaningby introductory lines to new sub-forums, detailed account of instruction that each sub-forum should display and so on. Better placement and creation of sub-section etc. Meaningby what i would like is that you Vet all the changes so that we make it comprehensive, user friendly and more appealing.

We can perhaps start from making some observations before you make new forums and sub-forums. First of all everyone should realise that it is a favour that Farhan sb is investing his time on improving it. The point is that one can study as to what has been the main purpose of this forum, both for active and passive readers i.e. we need to know audience of this forum? This can be judged by checking the most viewed posts.

Some ideas for explicit sub-sections on this basis of popularity: I noticed that a group of members is highly interested in fragrant plants / tropicals. Then there are members who are succulent fans. Some members like annuals. Then are people who wish to buy and exchange seeds from each other. And another very popular feature has been plant identification, followed by pest issues. Last but not the least is the section that deals with beginner questions such as fertilizer names etc. These popular topics can be made explicit sections. Also members who have beautiful gardens, they often like to display their gardens. Such a section already exists.

You can see that "knowledge" type posts are not very popular, because most of the time it is cut-paste essay from the internet.

I agree writing section description is helpful, but writing a set of instructions is not, in my opinion. It will cause inconvenience to you. For instance, there is very good online user group for sharing research articles which are not available to researchers in Pakistan. Ten thousands members are ther. Now, the group owner has pinned a set of instructions as to how people should request the articles. Despite that, I see everyday many people don't follow instructions at all. This frustrates the owner who is doing a favour for the rest of the students and causes inconvenience to those who are willing to email articles to others. Mostly those people are a part of educated qaum, but alas people are not very good at following instructions.

Regards.
suffi
City: Haripur
Gardening Interests: kitchen gardenign , landscaping, medicinal plants reading and cultivation,

Post by suffi »

i sugest u should add the medicinal plant section also, and second our flora i mean first we secure the our countrey flora , and introduce the pakistani plants, but mostly we are sharing exotic plants which is not fear to pakistan

Return to “Forum Improvement”