Plant Database Project

Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: Plant Database Project

Post by Tahir Khan »

No problem i can edit the entry if there is some mistake or addition needs to be made if nobody minds... about the pictures if we quote the source of the image we wont have any copyright issues.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Tahir Khan wrote:No problem i can edit the entry if there is some mistake or addition needs to be made if nobody minds... about the pictures if we quote the source of the image we wont have any copyright issues.
Tahir sb please correct whatever you surely think is incorrect - right in main entry table. I am sure nobody will mind it. We will try to have our own images, but for dealing images of relatively less common but exotic plants, we'll have to rely on internet sources with reference. Examples are Pandanus (kewdra) and woodrose. I had all of these plants once upon a time, but I don't have pictures at the moment. Unfortunately, other active members don't have these plants either :-(
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Tahir sb please correct whatever you surely think is incorrect - right in main entry table. I am sure nobody will mind it. We will try to have our own images, but for dealing images of relatively less common but exotic plants, we'll have to rely on internet sources with reference. Examples are Pandanus (kewdra) and woodrose. I had all of these plants once upon a time, but I don't have pictures at the moment. Unfortunately, other active members don't have these plants either :-(
Thank you farooq sb i will check the entries and shall correct if it is wrong.. and everyone else will also have the liberty to edit the entries i made :)

Regarding Pandus and woodrose, nothing stays forever even us humans have to depart this lovely world one day... so one must always cherish the moments to the fullest because they will not last :)
Usama
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Plants, Roses, vines, Pruning & Training

Post by Usama »

How can one look at your work??
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Just an advisory for contributing members!
Please do see the index before submitting entry or else as we are now have healthy database, there might be a entry which is already posted by some other member costing you effort.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

is there any clash or just future instruction ... :?:
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

For Future
usman.haq
City: Islamabad

Post by usman.haq »

AOA and I want to highlight some more required columns in the database, it would be more helpful for the users to have them.

Propagation/Sowing season is not present
Instead of Soil pH, you can use soil requirements, because there can be many things to consider for soil other then the PH, or add another field as soil requirements, as for example in one post a user questioned that my marigold plants died after I planted them in soil, and answer was that if the soil us richly fertilized, marigold will not survive in it.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

usman.haq wrote:AOA and I want to highlight some more required columns in the database, it would be more helpful for the users to have them.

Propagation/Sowing season is not present
Instead of Soil pH, you can use soil requirements, because there can be many things to consider for soil other then the PH, or add another field as soil requirements, as for example in one post a user questioned that my marigold plants died after I planted them in soil, and answer was that if the soil us richly fertilized, marigold will not survive in it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone can add a follow up comment to any entry so you are welcome to add comments if you know details about a given profile. The basic purpose of a plant profile is to create awareness of Pakistani garden plants growing around us. The plant profile is admittedly not a comprehensive resource nor 100% accurate. Once we know the correct scientific name we can find tons of information from other resources.

Return to “Forum Improvement”