Plant Database Project

Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Plant Database Project

Post by Munir »

M Farooq wrote:
munir wrote:All Greek to me & must be many more. Please keep cooking; we ll benefit/eat the broth when it is ready, as per practice. We can only buck(cheer) you up.
Munir sahab or anyone else interested, you can do ONE favour if you wish to. Email us just the pictures at pakistan.flora@yahoo.com with name of your plant. Rest of the job is ours. I am running out of my own pictures (all of us are NOT lifting pictures from the internet) and I am thousands of miles away from my own garden :-).
Certainly, I can chip in with some pictures.But it ll take some days, as to handle/upload pictures I use a helper, who is presently away.
Suggestion.Please consider the possibility of having separate headings of:
... Gragrance.It is an important feature in which most gardeners are keenly interested; thus must be shown prominently.
... Maintenance,pruning etc.[r1][/r1]
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

munir wrote: Suggestion.Please consider the possibility of having separate headings of:
... Gragrance.It is an important feature in which most gardeners are keenly interested; thus must be shown prominently.
... Maintenance,pruning etc.[r1][/r1]
Sir some of us might be knowledgeable about certain plants, their appearance and stuff but in most of the cases we are not authority on the aspect of maintenance and propagation stuff. This is specialized stuff, and can be better shared by people who have grown certain plant. This means if we create such heading then what we will be sharing in those fields will be our incomplete experience or point of view. Databases leave nothing to doubt. Therefore i propose we do not include these fields. If....about any some specific plant the uploader or any other member knows, he can share with us and we will add that in the description. This is the purpose of opening the sub-forum so early for the public so that members can give their inputs on various plants as you suggested about Gul-e-Dupheri.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Rafique Sb can you kindly please re-format few earlier entries of other members which are not in the final template. Will be grateful
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Will do for sure.
Rafique
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan sb I had a suggestion. You made nice summary of common weeds with pictures. Can we move that thread under one heading as "Common Weeds in Pakisatni Gardens"? in the Flora of Pakistan database. That can serve as a sticky as well. I never knew those names so all of us would benefit. May be you can remove ollow up comments just to keep that section clean. Only the identification of the weed is enough. Since interested reader can then look up.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I will replicate weeds, grasses, and roses database thread in Flora of Pakistan.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:I will replicate weeds, grasses, and roses database thread in Flora of Pakistan.
Looks nice there.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Contributor members... i see that we have different accounts/photo bucket for uploading images or we are attaching images. If we can have one common photobucket account it will benefit us big time.

We can give the link of that account where all images are uploaded on the forum. Members can browse these images and identify their plants and from there on come to the plant profile page.

Hamad Kisana Sb can you make a photobucket account with the name of Garden Pakistan Database and share password with other members. If we run out of storage we will create another account with the name of Garden Pakistan Database 2 and so on(You will need to make a new e-mail for this with the name of lets say GPD@gmail.com).......another advantage is more uploading will reduce space load on our server and the image loaded on photobucket is of high quality as compared to attached image.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

ok sir after making Photobucket account i will inform you.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thankyou....you can PM.....photobucket user id & password to all contributors when you have made the account. From there on we will upload all images on that account.

MEMBERS DO NOT FORGET TO PUT THE NAME IN CAPTION WHEN UPLOADING IMAGES

Return to “Forum Improvement”