Plant Database Project

Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Plant Database Project

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Contributing members please do add whether plant is fragrant or not(if you are aware)...You can do that in description or flower field.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Contributing members please do add whether plant is fragrant or not(if you are aware)...You can do that in description or flower field.
We should add fragrance info wherever it is possible. Could you tell us more about the strategy for using photobucket (I haven't used this before)? Currently I have run out of my own pictures. So I browse the gardens in this forum, pick the familiar trees/ plants. Then I save this picture and upload it again for that particular entry.
What do you suggest? First get the picture, upload it in the photobucket, and then give the link in the plant entry? Would the picture still be visible to a reader or he has to click the link to see the picture? Someohow Mir shab original Cassia fistula entry has links from wikipedia and yet the pictures are visible rather than the links. How did he do it?
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I have made a thread explaining use of photobucket.
You have been sent with ID and password through PM
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Okay, got it and the instructions as well :-)

Two more suggestions to moderators/ contributors:

1. Please feel free to edit any entry for correction, typos, and missing words. Feedback is far more important for sake of accuracy rather than being silent and the feeling that the other person may mind if we add a correction. This is not the case.

2. When we have additional useful information, we can add it in the description section under the subheading "Additional Notes [Name of the Contributor]". This will keep the entry as a single essay, with all good info at one place. We can follow the Wikipedia style, it is open to editing yet it appears one article.

What do you guys think?
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Directly copying the image will not serve the purpose of creating photo database. This database can be useful in identification.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

M Farooq wrote:Okay, got it and the instructions as well :-)

Two more suggestions to moderators/ contributors:

1. Please feel free to edit any entry for correction, typos, and missing words. Feedback is far more important for sake of accuracy rather than being silent and the feeling that the other person may mind if we add a correction. This is not the case.

2. When we have additional useful information, we can add it in the description section under the subheading "Additional Notes [Name of the Contributor]". This will keep the entry as a single essay, with all good info at one place. We can follow the Wikipedia style, it is open to editing yet it appears one article.

What do you guys think?
Alternatively there is daves garden profile. Where members share their views or any other information they have about the plant. I have shown the example in Nasturtium entry. If we re-edit entries again and again it will become a tedious job for you to update.

Let the members contribute whatever info they have in form of a reply. That info will be in same thread as the plant profile so viewer can see it.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Alternatively there is daves garden profile. Where members share their views or any other information they have about the plant. I have shown the example in Nasturtium entry. If we re-edit entries again and again it will become a tedious job for you to update.

Let the members contribute whatever info they have in form of a reply. That info will be in same thread as the plant profile so viewer can see it.
yes i agree with you daves garden style is best.it will serve as a comprehensive data ...and farooq bhai we can get images from wiki and other sources but that will be problem for us because they are copyright and we cannot use them with out their permession.our forum is full with plant images we can use them.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:
Farhan Ahmed wrote:Alternatively there is daves garden profile. Where members share their views or any other information they have about the plant. I have shown the example in Nasturtium entry. If we re-edit entries again and again it will become a tedious job for you to update.

yes i agree with you daves garden style is best.it will serve as a comprehensive data ...and farooq bhai we can get images from wiki and other sources but that will be problem for us because they are copyright and we cannot use them with out their permession.our forum is full with plant images we can use them.
Totally agree. Images should be ours. But at times I know about a certain plant but don't have a good personal picture e.g. see Merremia tuberosa entry, what should I do in such a case. I was thinking Wiki pictures "free" to use by the public. Thats why I requested pictures from the public (members).
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Do consult these sites for references....they are particular to Pakistan. Maybe helpful
http://www.efloras.org/flora_page.aspx?flora_id=5
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Do consult these sites for references....they are particular to Pakistan. Maybe helpful
http://www.efloras.org/flora_page.aspx?flora_id=5
This site is excellent, I had stumbled upon it earlier and didn't notice that they have images too! Good to know that the key contributors to this US database are Pakistanis and sitting VC of Karachi University.

Return to “Forum Improvement”