Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

FORUM ON FACEBOOK?

Post by aykhan »

I've been thinking for a while that the forum is laborious to navigate. There are so many threads and topics and subtopics that keeping track of everything new posted is time consuming and often important information is missed and questions unanswered. Posting images is difficult and requires some time commitment also with shrinking the image, then attaching and then posting. Some shortcuts require learning curves everyone is not familiar with.

I recently joined a Facebook community called Plumeria Addicts. Like all other groups eg my Alumni group from medical school, it is something you join but it does not join you. This way whoever posts in the group all the members see it on their Facebook wall. However, when members post on their own wall or the wall of their friends the group does not see it so privacy is maintained. Your normal Facebook privacy settings are up to you. The Plumeria Addicts is quite lively and people post problems, pictures, ask questions and even buy, sell and trade there. Very easy atmosphere and extremely effective and interactive.

I seriously think Pakistan Gardening needs to go on Facebook as a community. I'm certain most members here will be on Facebook also and also check it frequently everyday in this day and age of smart phones and social media. This will be more instant information, much more interactive, easier and interesting. The moderators can set this up. This forum can run side by side and over time we can determine how active our Facebook community is as compared to the forum. My guess is within months probably everyone might migrate there. Even if not we will still have this forum.

Think about this, it is worth a try and will keep the community active. With time forums do slow down and a lot even die a natural death. Social media on the other hand is here to stay.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: FORUM ON FACEBOOK?

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

We are on Facebook since last one year at least.....This is the link you can join.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/340281139808/?fref=ts

How active it is....is another thing.

Yes, somethings are easy on sites such as Facebook, but its not a database/discussion site, It is very convenient to share something or ask a question but it does not record stuff in some formal way.......except a long history which has numerous limitations

In Forum, Now with more subs-section its slightly easier to keep track of various subjects. I am hopeful you will get use to it. Secondly the search tool on the forum is very powerful aid, if used properly with a good keyword.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I do agree the forum gives a database but for day to day interactions it has limitations and frankly is laborious at times. I think members should become active on the Facebook page also, less time consuming considering most postings on the forum are people asking questions and posting pictures. I think I got a request from at page a long time I ago but didn't think it relevant then. BTW who is running tha page?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Mir Afzal Sb is running the page.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Aykhan shb, I think forum has improved a lot in terms in the sense that it has become very user friendly. I simply use the "View Active Topics" option and all new posts or active discussions are in front of you. Farhan has arranged everything well. You are right about the difficulties in uploading the pictures, but then I learnt the use of photobucket recently and things became easier. With facebook we cannot discuss at length or include pictures in the comments easily.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

yes sir with efforts of farhan bhai forum is much better and easy now and i am sure there will be more changes in future 8-) .members are joining on almost daily basis.although it is fact that number of active members is very low but it will increase by time inshahALLAH.facebook is difficult for gardening use but it can help us to grow gardening community.so a try will be best option i think. :mrgreen:
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I plan to be active on Facebook also as well as forum. Benefits of both cannot be denied. Hope people can pitch in on Facebook also
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

I think both can run concurrently. Hope both are complimentary & don't clash.
I frankly didn't know about the Forum on Facebook. On opening it,found posts there which have not appeared on the Forum,at least I haven't seen them earlier. If they are exclusive to the respective sites,then the viewers of one site do not benefit from the useful information posted on the other. It is thus desirable that posts of one appear on the other autometically if possible,otherwise through selection by a designated member/moderator.I am a layman in use of computers & not a technical person, thus do not understand the possibilities & implications-technical,adminitrative & legal. Can somebody please explain?
PS. Suggest the Title page of the Forum should provide the link to the Facebook

Return to “Forum Improvement”