Dairy Farming

Off-Topic & Non-Gardening chat goes in here, a friendly hangout area.

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Re: Dairy Farming

Post by newton »

Some excellent scientific research on tropical dairy cattle with suggestions on cross breeding programmes, the characteristics of the various breeds, their crosses and how the environment has an impact on total milk yield.

The paper also includes references to buffalo, sheep and beef cattle production, . There are six chapters in total if anybody wishes to read through them, some of them are quite technical in their nature but this is currently the rage in the European countries at the moment where three way crosses are being marketed as the best for milk production, however bear in mind that this relates to European cattle kept in temperate European climates or in carefully controlled large scale farms in the middle east with air conditioning, automatic showers and a whole host of other labor/technology intensive husbandry.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/x6536e/x6536e06.htm

Youtube clip showing Norwegian 3way cross dairy cattle in the US, the animals show amazing milk capacity but im not sure how well or poorly they would do WHEN they are in the Pakistan environment. a subject discussed in the latter research paper. The tails are apparently cut to keep those immense bulky udders clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjG9T-EK7M
Vegalinks
City: Faisalabad
Gardening Interests: Dairy and livestock, Animal breeding and genetics, vegetables, fruits and cash crops

Post by Vegalinks »

Khalid Abro wrote:With a limited budget i m thinking of acquiring good bloodline of red sindhi and if it gives me 20 kg milk per day then it will be absolutely remarkable.
You cannot expect 20 liter/day from Red Sindhi in Pakistan due to poor breeding but yes Red Sindhi in Brazil is producing way more than that, the only reasonable estimate for that is 10-12 liters a day :?
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Out of 100 animals you may get a 2 or 3 20kg milk producing animals.The average here is just 12 and a good care of the animal will fetch you 14kg.
Khalid Abro
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Cacti & Succulents, Fruit Trees, Vines, Herbs & Vegies

Post by Khalid Abro »

Hmm even that is good i will be content with that as long as i enjoy the experience of keeping a cow. Anyways, thanks a lot everyone for the feedback once again.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Keeping any animal can be a rewarding experience but when the animal is an intrinsic part of the household food supply then it is an added bonus. Many people form bonds with he animals even though they may be buffalos or cows and believe me I have seen grown hardened farmers be in tears after the death of such an animal. Many friends and family call into the house to express their condolences.

Keeping such an animal even if it only one requires a commitment of time energy and sacrifices. The animal will be wholly and totally dependant on you for food accommodation and milking's and that is a 24/7 365 days a year responsibility.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and the name you give it
Khalid Abro
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Cacti & Succulents, Fruit Trees, Vines, Herbs & Vegies

Post by Khalid Abro »

True till last word i have had such feelings for many animals in my life. Sure i will!!
mhammad
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Livestock

Post by mhammad »

AOA,
Dear brother, I would like to start dairy farm in Dera Ismail Khan (KPK). I initially interested in 4 to 5 or 6 animals. I can arrange land + labour. Suggest me regarding animals that all should be buffalos or cows or buffalos + cows (interested specially in Nelli-Ravi and in cows need suggestions, whether i should go for Fresian or Jersey or Sahiwal or Crossbreed, which will b better to adjust in DIKhan weather). Kindly suggest me in detail that how much it will cost + feed and all other things plz. I 'll b very thankful. Your early response will b highly appreciated.
Regards,
Hammad.
muhammad.hammaduddin@yahoo.com
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Minimum start for a dairy farming should be 20 animals.15 Buffaloes and 5 Cows.Go for cross bred cows.
SaqibRasheed
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Red Rose!

Post by SaqibRasheed »

Yeah Farhan bro. I ll be waiting too for the detailed reply. :)
Pak elections result | electoral history of Pakistan
http://www.pakvoter.org

Return to “Non Gardening Talk”