Unlikely Garden

Information on various Gardening Events & Showcases

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Unlikely Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Sometime back i came across these photographs from the Garden of Shehzad Ahmed, He is based in Islamabad and has a beautiful garden, and he is growing plants that majority consider won't be as successful in our climates. Likes of delphiniums and Lupins. Has he some trick up his sleeve or an extra Green thumb, Views please

http://gardening.about.com/od/yourgarde ... tryway.htm
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Unlikely Garden

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Fahan sb Delphiniums,Fuchsia,hydrangias,tuberous begonias these are plants which are cool climate plants.Fuchsia is grown in Islamabad in many houses.what they do they take the plants in summer to Murree which is very near to Islamabad.when the winter arrives they bring it back to Islamabad & the cycles goes on.let me tell that many nurseries offer F-1 Ranunculus seedlings which they prepare early at Murree.so when they bring it to Islamabad the seedlings flower earlier which are sown later in Islamabad.oneof my friends use to grow primulas at Abbattabad.his brother use to take some potted plants with him to Rawalpindi in the winter.when summer arrives he use to bring it back to Abbottabad.the secret is that the older the plant the higher flowers on the spike.usually the nurserymen do this.so when summer arrives our plants dies back.i think you got my point.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

at last yes Shahzad has a green thumb.what i noted some years back when i saw his garden pictures were the free flowering Clivias.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Exactly.....this is my curiosity that how he is able to micro manage the climate or naturalizing the plants in Islamabad weather. For me its a gateway to limitless possibilities....
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Though every bloom is enchanting.....but i am starting to believe its landscaping with the plants which is prettier where colors flow naturally......
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Farhan the secret of beautiful land scaping is that you plant a single variety in seperate colors in masses.i too like separate colors because each color shows the full impact, but it also requires lot of space.care fully note the color scheme of Shazad sb.he has planted every thing in separate colors.i am no more intrested in annuals because i am so much in love with roses.so in near future i maynot be able to plant annuals in separate mass plantings.my 80% garden share is devoted to roses.i have added a new variety this year Signature.
Look at these pansies in seperate colors they give the max impact.although my photography is not good & my garden is a very small one.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I didn't saw delphiniums or lupins in this link.. and all the plants i see are those which could be grown in Islamabad very easily...
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

i think i saw them in some picture.
I am reminded of your saying " if he can do it so can i"....i don't remember in which context/where you said that :P
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Yes Izhar is very right there are no Lupins in Shazad,s garden.but i am telling you about the Fuchisa in his garden.Delphiniums are sowed in & prepared in Murre.then brought to Islamabad for plantations.but the nursery men demands are high so i avoid it.another very beautiful plant which is grown at Islamabad is Lobelia.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

He has managed to correctly place the plants so as to maximize the display and everything is in its prime.. the grass, the trees all are complimenting each other to produce an excellent mass effect... most of the plants in this garden are those which are not difficult to grow in Islamabad... or even in Mardan, Lahore or Karachi... that is why i can do it... :geek: or we all can do it :ugeek:

This garden shows how proper selection and placement of readily available plants can produce wonderful results...

Return to “Flower Shows, Visits & Gardening Events/Showcases”