Few pics of plants growing in the wild(Abroad)

Information on various Gardening Events & Showcases

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Few pics of plants growing in the wild...

Post by KBW »

Another realisation that I had when I visited these far flung areas in the far east was that good gardening sense has nothing to do with being rich and well educated, in many cases. I always thought that one needs to have aesthetic sense (which only educated people could have) and than one needs lot of money to buy quality plants. Far from it. I met people who lived in a straw hut, were not sure about next meals yet they grew wild orchids, ferns, palms, bromeliads and other ornamental plants in such beautiful combinations that one would be stunned. They would go to the forests, pick up plants of their liking and grow them in empty plastic water bottles and cooking oil cans and similar material, mostly thrown away by the tourists. They possessed first hand knowledge of growing these tropical plants. They had no idea of pH levels etc but exactly knew how the plant lived in nature and replicated it in their homes.....simple. I learnt a lot from them. Just a few pics....

Orchids attached with the bamboos of a straw hut.

Stunning

Orchid in a hanging basket. Very simple but effective arrangement.

This guy had dug the Amaryllis bulbs from the mountain and planted in his courtyard. He even put a few rocks in the area mixed some gravel in the soil to improve drainage. I asked him why did he put these rocks, he replied that this is how they exist in nature. Perfect understanding.....

This was the idea that I liked the most. This guy lived next to a rainforest and needed to shield his hut from outside view. Just made a hedge of ornamental banana taken from the forest. He said that it is beautiful and shields his house from outside view. What a hedge.....
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

KBW wrote:Another realisation that I had when I visited these far flung areas in the far east was that good gardening sense has nothing to do with being rich and well educated, in many cases. I always thought that one needs to have aesthetic sense (which only educated people could have) and than one needs lot of money to buy quality plants. Far from it. I met people who lived in a straw hut, were not sure about next meals yet they grew wild orchids, ferns, palms, bromeliads and other ornamental plants in such beautiful combinations that one would be stunned. They would go to the forests, pick up plants of their liking and grow them in empty plastic water bottles and cooking oil cans and similar material, mostly thrown away by the tourists. They possessed first hand knowledge of growing these tropical plants. They had no idea of pH levels etc but exactly knew how the plant lived in nature and replicated it in their homes.....simple. I learnt a lot from them.
very true....
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Very nice. Let us collect pictures of our own native plants and present in this forum.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Very nice. Let us collect pictures of our own native plants and present in this forum.
Glad to see someone seconding my thoughts. That is what I have been suggesting here for a year but apparently nobody was excited or moved by that idea. We should certainly have an online collection of our own native plants with names of course.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

That's a great idea. I will also contribute in this thread. :)
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

KBW wrote:That's a great idea. I will also contribute in this thread. :)
KBW sahab, you may like to read the details and technical issues in this thread...your input will be appreciated.

Link here: http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... den+plants
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Very nice. Let us collect pictures of our own native plants and present in this forum.
By native plants I mean the plants growing wild in various part of the country and not those imported and GROWN in the country.
For example,
A thistle and a daisy growing at Naran

Arif
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

IMHO, suggestion given by Arif sahib is very good and we must have a thread on native plant pics in their natural habitat. However, I would suggest a separate thread for it as it is a vast subject. And it should only include pics of native plants in their natural habitat, taken by the members themselves and not of any nursery / home grown native plants / cultivars. I can assure you some of us would be stunned to see the wild flora of Pakistan. I will start a new thread as soon as I find my pic collection from Northern Areas, Balochistan and KPK. Cholistan and Thar would be another area of great interest. In the meanwhile, I will request the mods to rename this thread appropriately as this thread will only include pics of the foreign plants in their habitat, (taken by the member himself and not copied from internet).

regards
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

M Farooq wrote:KBW sahab, you may like to read the details and technical issues in this thread...your input will be appreciated.

Link here: http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... den+plants
Farooq sahib, just missed out this post of yours somehow. Will give my humble input in the quoted thread.
regards
KBW
Donor
Donor

Re: Few pics of plants growing in the wild(Abroad)

Post by KBW »

Chines orchid growing in the wild inside a bunch of fern and grasses.

Wild Aster....

A dwarf wild aster growing in the rocks...

Return to “Flower Shows, Visits & Gardening Events/Showcases”