What I have seen??????

Information on various Gardening Events & Showcases

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: What I have seen??????

Post by M Farooq »

All of the plants are lovely but none of them will survive in our open weather of Islamabad or even humid Karachi because they are not for us :-(, I would to have hydrangeas and the pitcher plant. I have seen Bromeliads in Karachi Uni's nursey, but they are also diffilcult plants.

Khwaja Mir Dard's verse rightly summarises it all:

"Humain kiya kam in gulon sey aye saba?
Ek dam aye, idher, udher challay
!"

Regards.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

The hoyas grow very well in Karachi.. the bromeliads also grow well with a little care... but all the others fail... those which are imported from Thailand still have a chance to survive compared to those which are imported from Holland..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Thank you for showing what I cant have.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Many of these tropical plants should grow well in Karachi. Some of the cultivars however would not grow well anywhere except in the most ideal conditions. Even in ideal conditions, some of them do not have the ability to reproduce. These cultivers/strains, born in the green houses mostly in tropical countries where they don't have any extreme weather, are actually not strong enough to survive the outside world. Nevertheless their beauty is so captivating that one can't resist buying them. While spending our hard earned money, I suggest we should go for species which are well established and well known. I have wasted lot of money on these beauties in the past and in most cases, the final outcome is frustration.

regards
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Capital planters nursery.it does not matter are they expensive or not but what matters these plants do not survive in our climate.they are for the gardeners from Murree or Abbottabad.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Hydrangea & begonia grow like crazy at Abbottabad.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Hydrangea & begonia grow like crazy at Abbottabad.
Absolutey right though Begonia rex will have to be taken care of during severe winters. In addition, Azaleas should also thrive very well in Abbotabad, Murre and similar areas. In Abbotabad, they need to be saved during Jun/July from full sun, at least for the initial couple of years. However, many of the bromeliads and other tropical plants wont survive in Abbotabad, unless kept in a temperature cum humidity controlled green house during winters.

I wish I could live permanently at a place where I could have lots of Azaleas in my house, planted under / near Rhododendron trees of strikingly apposite colour bloom and the gaps filled with large rocks planted with hundreds of bulb varieties, hardy ferns and tiny alpine hardy perennials as ground cover. Roses and Geraniums in the open places with a couple of Wisteria trees on the outside and a small pond, having lots of water lilies inside and Irises on the banks. Would like to fit in few frost hardy Cycads in the sheltered location. Wow....what a dream :)
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

May Allah honour your dream! then dont forget to invite us.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

I have seen most of these are available here in Nursery as indoor flowering plants , these are imported from Europe , they never live a season here . They definitely needs cold weather like Muree.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@KBW...........your dream appears to be of a colder climate.

But as you said :-)

Re: Spring 2013

Postby KBW » March 6th, 2013, 9:41 pm

" farhan137 wrote:Sometimes i wonder which is better lush greens of tropics or colder areas where some of the loveliest flowers grow. I fail to decide.....

I would say we should grow plants as per the area where we are living and should strongly resist the temptation of growing plants for which we can't provide better environment. Good for both the plant and the grower"

Return to “Flower Shows, Visits & Gardening Events/Showcases”