Kew: The World's Garden

Information on various Gardening Events & Showcases

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Re: Kew: The World's Garden

Post by newton »

Back in 2006 we hired a marquee there for a wedding function, I must say that this was my third visit to the gardens and I still found that the overall structure of the garden was still as impressive as the first time I saw it. However I did notice that the lawns and flower beds could have been better maintained but that's probably down to sheer economics of looking after a vast botanic collection where the focus of attention is on the specimen plants.

If my old hard drive gets successfully repaired I will dig out and post some pics of the event.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Here are some of images of Kew Gardens from April 1950 National Geographic. While looking at the images one gets the impression that the gardens were more impressive in that era. Perhaps the reason might be the decrease in the allocation of public funds over the years for the maintenance of Kew Gardens which started with the ascendancy of Margaret Thatcher in the late 70's and 80's. Even today they rely heavily on sponsors whose names are displayed in specific sections of the garden. Hamad Kisana thank you for informing me about the utility of photobucket.

Last edited by mikhurram on September 27th, 2013, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

:D wonderful sir you have a good collection of old books and documentries.thanks for sharing with us :)
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Mikhurram,you seem to have a rich library; can't be your own collection of 1950s,must be the family's. Great indeed & handy for such references.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

I am glad Hamad that you enjoyed it. This could'd have been possible without your input.

Actually it is from my collection and is the result of the effort which began almost 25 years ago. I have almost all the issues of National Geographic from 1950 till the present day. Some of the issues also date back to 1920's as well.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

That is really amazing collection. I think Munir sb is inquisitive about your age :-)
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Then Really NICE collection mikhurram sb.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

mikhurram wrote:I am glad Hamad that you enjoyed it. This could'd have been possible without your input.

Actually it is from my collection and is the result of the effort which began almost 25 years ago. I have almost all the issues of National Geographic from 1950 till the present day. Some of the issues also date back to 1920's as well.
WOW, im impressed
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:That is really amazing collection. I think Munir sb is inquisitive about your age :-)
Age is not important,but I know that you are much younger than him.That aside,it shows his dedication to his hobby/interest that he has collected & is preserving such old treasure of knowledge & can dig out the relevant issues/editions for our information.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

indeed

Return to “Flower Shows, Visits & Gardening Events/Showcases”