Arley Gardens Northwich Cheshire UK

Information on various Gardening Events & Showcases

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Arley Gardens Northwich Cheshire UK

Post by newton »

Some lovely borders and topiary at Arley gardens. A historic house and gardens owned and managed by the same family for over 250 years and was groundbreaking in that it was the first introduction to border gardening techniques in the UK. There is also a gorgeous pleached limes avenue, im wondering if the same effect could be achieved with lagerstroemia.

Arley Hall is a country house in the village of Arley, Cheshire, England, about 4 miles (6 km) south of Lymm and 5 miles (8 km) north of Northwich. It is home to the owner, Viscount Ashbrook and his family. The house is a Grade II* listed building, as is its adjacent chapel. Formal gardens to the southwest of the hall are also listed at Grade II* on the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

The present gardens were created in the 1830s, and were developed during the 20th century. The garden's Herbaceous Border was one of the first of its type in Britain, and remains one of the finest. The house and its gardens have been open to the public since the 1960s, and have also been used as a film location.

The gardens and landscape park have been designated as Grade II* in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.[26][27] Designation as Grade II* on the Register means that the site is "particularly important, of more than special interest".[28] They have been described as "some of the finest in Britain".[29]

The formal gardens cover an area of 12 acres (4.9 ha).[29] The visitor approaches the hall and gardens along an avenue of pleached lime trees which are clipped each year. The main path passes under a Clock Tower and a path on the right leads into the Flag Garden, so-called because its paths are formed from flagstones. This leads to the Furlong Drive, a straight path leading in a southwesterly direction from the house to the Sundial Circle, which is exactly a furlong (220 yd or ~200 m) in length. Parkland lies on the southeast side of the path, and this is separated from the formal gardens by the ha-ha. To the north of this path is the double Herbaceous Border, which was one of the first in England. It consists of four pairs of flowerbeds which are backed on one side by a 19th-century wall and on the other by a yew hedge. Between the sections of the border are yews which have been pruned into decorative shapes. To the south of the herbaceous border is the Ilex Avenue which consists of seven pairs of holm oaks clipped into the shape of cylinders 8 metres (26 ft) high and 3 metres (9.8 ft) in diameter. In the angle between the Herbaceous Border and the Ilex Avenue is the Shrub Rose Garden.[30][31]
source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arley_Hall
Please accept my apologies for the quality of the photographs as it was an impromptu visit on a rainy day I only had my mobile phone to take snaps

Walled vegetable garden

Lawns area

Lovely blue hosta and lavenders punctuated with splashes of red

Bronze lotus flower fountain

I have seeds of this and will be trialling it in Pakistan later this year

Rhododendron and Acer grove

Giant Hosta

Japanese influence using sphagnum moss

Miniature tree in the wildflower meadow

A vista of the borders to the parkland beyond, unfortunately the camera did not capture the full glory

Looking in the opposite direction at how gracefull this structure is

Topiary expertise
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Arley Gardens Northwich Cheshire UK

Post by Mustansir Billah »

The greatest garden! I see...Ifzal sb. relaxing in such beautiful landscape is indeed a joy! ;) :D
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

wonderful garden so lush green and beautiful
Learn & Share
newton

Post by newton »

Thank you for the feedback - its always appreciated - Some more snaps, the last for now, next visit is going to be Levens Hall in the Lake District Cumbria UK.

Topiary in two colour Yew

Arley Hall, a privately owned Victorian country house built in the Elizabethan style _ note the striped lawn

regards
Ifzal
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Wonderful. Really great effort.....
Thanks for sharing such a fabulous garden.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Thank you.
I have seeds of this and will be trialling it in Pakistan later this year.
How about sending me 2-4 for trial
Arif
newton

Post by newton »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Thank you.
Arif
Consider it done sir, I will post next week. I think I allready have your address from a private message.

Some caution should be exercised with the plant to ensure it is not fed to livestock as some reports have indicated it is particularly toxic to horses. However I will check that out before posting, its latin name is Echium Pininana or Giant Echium. It is related to the Borage family which in some non-native countries is now considered an invasive weed.

Endemic to the Canary Islands and upto 14ft tall with a stem as thick as a mans leg. It is drought hardy but requires a well drained soil. In the 1st year it produces a rough coarsely hairy rosette of silvery green leaves. the following spring the rosettes enlarge to produce a stout woody tapering spire that quickly grows tall, smothered with thousands of little bright blue flowers, bees, butterflies, humming and sunbirds love it for its very high nectar content. it then dies but the seeds can be harvested. Some people plant it every year to create a continuous display.

I suppose it real test will be if it can survive our monsoon season and the June temperatures
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

No harm in trying.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

newton wrote:
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Thank you.
Arif
I suppose it real test will be if it can survive our monsoon season and the June temperatures
May be it has better survival chance in Islamabad.
newton

Post by newton »

Will do later this week also for you Munir Sb

Return to “Flower Shows, Visits & Gardening Events/Showcases”