My rooftop container garden

Showcase your garden. Tell us what is flowering around you.

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: My rooftop container garden

Post by Izhar »

Beautiful.. I really admire the drip irrigation settings.. I would request you to start a new topic on this, teach us how it is done as you are practically doing it...
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Would love to comply to ure request. I ll do that ASAP. Don't know if I can share a video here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

upload your video at Dailymotion.com or Playit.pk, give us the link..

You can also post elaborated pics... but video will be convenient for you to make and for us to comprehend..
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Thanks

Khalid Abro
Gardening Interests: Cacti & Succulents, Fruit Trees, Vines, Herbs & Vegies

Post by Khalid Abro »

A very good collection; by the way what is the name of the vine with orange flowers.
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

That's a shrub/mini tree- rindonetia

talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

I will try prefacing this drip irrigation topic since I have time to gather my thoughts and share with the respected members of this forum

talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Those wanting to get straight to the point, can skip the next post

talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

My interest in plants has been present for over two decades. Belonging to an army family we moved thru different cantonments across Pakistan from Karachi to chilas/gilgit. Those who know army life are well aware that spacious houses and batmans(now no-more) were amongst the blessings of the service.
Cantonments are habitats for some of the oldest trees in Pakistan. Each tree is painted white/red, numbered and accounted for. Though creativity is not the cup of tea of forces personnel but they do contribute to preserving what they inherited from British efforts.
We had flower competitions in risalpur, where the best three spring decorated houses would be given prizes. My mother was the driving force behind those old dilapidated houses transforming into lush n blooming gardens.
After the army life ended, the houses shrunk and the servants became a luxury, lazy people like myself found watering plants for 30 min-1 hour each day a gargantuan task.
I don't have a big house now. It's a 10 marla house with no garden like some of u guys enjoy. So container gardening was the only way I could keep plants.
I have more than 500 plants in my house. Most are carefully collected, many rare ones.
Container gardening poses greater challenges than planting in ground. The pots have to be of the right size, the plant medium of the right composition and last but not the least each plant/pot watered regularly in amounts catering to the plant needs.
I found watering thru hose with water pressure from gravity extremely irksome and tiring not to mention the impracticality and sheer waste of time.
I have four balcony container gardens, three garage/ground floor container gardens, one rooftop garden that u just saw and one small outdoor ground planting. Watering nine different and disjoint sites was an exercise in futility and I killed some plants before the drip irrigation was in place.
So here is the need part explained. During my stay in USA(for clinical externships) I had the pleasure of staying at a prospering doctor friends' house. He had sprinklers in place that would turn on and off at fixed times each day. My friend had no clue how it worked. It just came with the house and they didn't have to do regular maintenance for these. I immediately searched Google for such devices. Picked keywords from it. Went to Amazon.com and searched/read about the equipments.

talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

The most popular drip irrigation/sprinkler system brands in USA are:
RAINBIRD(probably the leader now)
RAINDRIP
ORBIT IRRIGATION
HUNTER IRRIGATION.

Return to “What is blooming in your Garden?”