KAM's garden.

Showcase your garden. Tell us what is flowering around you.

Moderator: Izhar

KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Re: KAM's garden.

Post by KAMasud »

Nice roses are they grafted or from cuttings?

When i started out i was thinking along the lines of one third but when i got down on my knees i found out that due to abnormal heat two of my roses had come under attack of mildew and 50% branches had gone black and dry. Adjoining there is concrete covering a area of a football field. Phenomenal heat develops. Cut out the dead branches then what the heck, long monsoons ahead if they ever come. Grafted roses under pressure from November to April do become weak and exhausted. I know purists dont like to put their bushes under pressure but i keep them for show quality(blooms) and not quantity.

Vibernum , should i i go for cuttings or is it still to early? Humidity is up to 55%.

My wild crested Bulbul pair has taken out its second brood so far in my Pomegranate and Shah Toot trees. These grapes do draw a variety of birds that i had never seen before while the Pomegranate trees provide nesting space. What do you all vote for local trees or exotic imported trees which have no value to our wild life? I rather prefer a Kikar or a Phulai to a Ficus other then our own Ficus(injeer) which our birds love.
On the highest Kikar the Falcon family breeds.
Regards.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Yes Quality blooms are must for a rose garden.Masud sb use fungicides for powdery mildew.its a non sense on rose bushes.i frequently use fungicides in rainy season.have a look on some more.these pic were taken last spring.
All are grafted stock!
Masud sb also note the clean & neat foliage.roses are my first love in garden.
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

Sir jee those two mango coloured roses, yummy. WoooW! You do have an eye for beauty. Beautiful, well cared and loved roses.

Fungus attack. You may have noted that i had planted Zinnias and before that Pansy under my roses. This was a big mistake it seems. One, i could not see what was going on. Two, the conditions were perfect with these plants for fungus to develop. Moist, incubation temp's and shady out of sight. Wont take liberties with my roses again. Waiting for the Zinnia to expire to find out what going on with the rest.
Regards.
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

This is how my five kanal samosa that i talked about before, looks like.
The set of first three are from the West, gate end or road side, which ever you prefer.

The second set is from the Hypotenuse centre which makes it North East.

So my samosa has plenty of sunlight, as a matter of fact to much. Until two months back it was a field.

The wind due to funnel effect of hills is from the West South West (prevailing) the following will show you which side.

I require a wind breal along this side but at the same time i need sunlight in winter. In summer a bit of shade will have a cooling effect and improve the environment but no Jaman (Syzygium Jambolanum) ok old name may have been changed at the Durban Conference on botanical names in 1880 or some thing. New name may be (Syzygium cumini) is an evergreen tropical tree in the flowering plant family Myrtaceae. Izhar can enjoy correcting me. :mrgreen: Khair play aside i was thinking along the lines of Popular ( Populus). It is dense but not to much and along this sector it will start cutting off the sun by 3PM (thanks God) only people having gardens in this area will know why i wrote that.

All plants not frost resistant in first year cant be planted now, i will have to wait for Feb in order to give them a chance. Sir jee i am in between the Jhelum river and Kahuta and you require a quilt at night even in peak summer, morning is another story. zFirst you bake then you freeze. So fruit trees, palms, etc not now.

How ever along the perimeter i can put up Bougainvillea's, Rose creepers ( the ones with the vicious back curved thorns coated with powder), that cute Yolk yellow flowering cactus whose picture i have posted Thorns na, go in from one side and you cant pull them back, you have to push them forwards and out or cut your flesh with a blade, choice is with the person who fools with it (Aacha, an interesting observation, cacti for some reason dont harm the person who takes care of them). Then i have a succulent which has umbels of reddish flowers hanging down(when i post the pic some one may name it). Well this plant has fine thorns, nothing serious except the victim has to start anti allergies, stat.

How about some further ideas?
Regards.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Huge place to experiment with........lucky you......trees are a long time venture so i think you will require some artificial shade. That will also help you in winters....cauz this open area will be colder than usual home garden....you might like to see BHG garden plans for new ideas. Borders, patios, walkways may be a pond. You can do a lot
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

one more thing....what about the water source. will it be available easily?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Beautiful property to start a beautiful garden.Plant bogins from Hyderabad in different colors.as you like roses,so get a nice collection of roses.Fateh Muhammad is the leading rose nursery in Islamabad.these are my personal opinions,i mean gardening depends on personal taste.what you like you can plant in your beautiful property.(MASHALLAH Allah nazre bad se bache.)wish you best of luck.
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

Sir jee thank you. You know some thing, i think i answered this post.

All three fragrant. From the left as you all know Gardenia. Center Chinese Elm (Saporo). Right Plumera Francesca..

All three temperate zone. All three partial shade. All three require a cool environment. All three love moist humus rich soil. All three hate being water logged. All three on twice a month watering schedule. All three 1.5 to 2 meter height small tree.
I had to shift that Chinese elm into a bigger container today but as due to a accident i have a damaged spine and did some thing silly and now flat on my back. When i shift it i will take a sequence of pics of how i slice of the sides of the root ball and bottom with a scythe(daratri). That should put to rest this hype/bogey created by mallis of root ball getting damaged. If i dont slice or tease the root ball and shift to a bigger container, whats the use? The roots keep going round and round and dont utilise the soil in the bigger container.
Regards.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

If the root ball is not tightly wound you can pot without teasing the roots but if they are tightly wound then they have to be teased out even cut in places to make sure they grow healthy in the new pot. I agree, my mali was also surprised when he saw me cutting the roots before translanting some plants to bigger pots.
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

Another blunder or trick of mallis. You have a wonderful plant in a twelve inch pot and one day you feel that the plant wants bigger accommodation so you go out and buy a three maund pot (soil). If you are not careful and stand there the mali most probably will dump in a six inch layer of soil at the bottom and plonk the root ball in then back fill the rest of the two feet plus. Plant happy new soil at bottom, lots of blooms. Then suddenly after about a year the plant goes down. If the owner is lazy he gives up but if the owner is alert he makes the malli take out the root ball for a visual inspection.
What he finds is a thick mat of roots at the bottom six inches of the pot, no soil at all and all the feet of soil on top with no roots at all??????
Conclusion. The malli had buried the crown(connection between stem and roots) to deep and roots will never climb up above the crown. :lol:
Now no option left except for major root surgery and wrenching whats left apart in order to send the roots to all corners of the compass. Dont worry, if your intents are honest and clear to the plant it will survive but plz do it in a cool shady place and let the plant rest there until new growth starts then a gradual journey to the sun. Empathy with the plant is the secret.
Right sir jee? Have you ever come across a Bogan with the name Formosa? Also another one named Gandhi named after the colour of his or congress cap?
Regards.

Return to “What is blooming in your Garden?”