Some Beautiful Flowers That Do Well in Karachi

Showcase your garden. Tell us what is flowering around you.

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Some Beautiful Flowers That Do Well in Karachi

Post by mikhurram »

Imported Kachnar tree from Thailand bearing dark red flowers are extremely fragrant and flower around September/October. Three years ago, bought a 2 year old plant having 6 feet height at Rs 1000 from Abbas Nursery. They are also available at Lahore Nursery.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

mikhurram wrote:Imported Kachnar tree from Thailand bearing dark red flowers are extremely fragrant and flower around September/October. Three years ago, bought a 2 year old plant having 6 feet height at Rs 1000 from Abbas Nursery. They are also available at Lahore Nursery.
Could you show us a picture of red Bauhinia please? I also had a reddish Bauhinia but it was not fragrant at all. Just wondering about the differences.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Please remember to post pictures of tree with flowers in Sep/Oct.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Shall post the pictures in October
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Here's a photo of Bauhinia blakeana commonly called the Hong Kong Orchid Tree whose flowers are quite fragrant and tend to bloom at this time of the year here in Lahore. This is a sterile variety meaning that it does not produce any seeds.

M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Imran sb, Have you seen this type of Bauhinia? The most common Bauhinia in Pakistan is the one narrow, backward curling, petals. I purchased Bauhinias 4-5 times all times I got like the one you posted.

This one is my favourite, it has wide flat petals and a unique colour (resembles very closely to a typical orchid). I have seen only one such tree in Karachi in the Department of Botany.
Bauhinia_variegata5.jpg
http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/flip/plant.aspx?id=49
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

oh finally we found "the professor flower" that does well in Canada and on forum. Welcome Back Farooq Sb
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:oh finally we found "the professor flower" that does well in Canada and on forum. Welcome Back Farooq Sb
:D Very well said. Off and on i also feel that the "Airforce flower" does very well in risalpur but not so on the forum :)

BTW, i have been urging "professor flower" for some time to give forum some time from his busy schedule, hoping to see more flowers on the forum. After all, and i have been saying it very often lately, it is the members like you two guys which light up the forum, Forum itself is just few thousand pages residing in a data center in new york.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
S.Ahmed
Gardening Interests: Amateur gardener,Fragrant plants,Flowering Plants,Vegetables,Coconuts

Post by S.Ahmed »

:D ,You guys including moderators and regular active members are doing excellent job,like me many other silent readers and inexperienced gardening enthusiasts admire you guys and take inspiration from you all. Thank you!
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Dr Farooq,

Good to hear from you. Your presence was missed.

There's another fragrant variety of imported kachnar which flowers around October whose picture currently is not available but sets seed pods. The Bauhinia variegata shown by you at University of Karachi ought also to produce seed pods which can be sown in March, April or propagation can be done through layering around the Monsoon season.

Return to “What is blooming in your Garden?”