Clematis

Showcase your garden. Tell us what is flowering around you.

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Clematis

Post by newton » June 15th, 2013, 6:08 am

Clematis I planted last year I will post pictures of the varieties Nelly Moser, John Howells, Henry i and India Star later as they bloom, but in the meantime here is Mrs Cholmondley growing amongst the climbing rose Reve D'or and clematis Blue Eclipse (arragene) next to the climber Easleas Golden Rambler unfortunately this suffered from mildew and blackspot due to me stressing the plant out by attempting to control its direction of growth too harshly.

The clematis came from a friend of mine who is the curator for the UK National Clematis Collection, an avid breeder and judge. The purpose of the society is to maintain rare varieties of clematis and breed new ones. He has asked me to obtain seeds of wild clematis from Kashmir in order to assist his quest to breed new varieties, if any readers can help I would be most appreciative
Attachments
pk forum 13.jpg
Rosa Dortmund and Unknown variety of Clematis
pk forum 13.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
pk forum 14.jpg
Blue Eclipse (arragene) next to the climber Easleas Golden Rambler.
pk forum 14.jpg (48.23 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
pk forum 15.jpg
Clematis Mrs Cholmondley, this is the first time it has flowered and the size of its blooms were impressive.
pk forum 15.jpg (42.4 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

newton
City: jhelum

Re: Clematis

Post by newton » June 15th, 2013, 6:58 am

This next year I will be trying to grow the clematis in Jhelum Pakistan, I believe the following cultivars are best suited to the climate.

The cirrhosa group, heracleifolia, tangutica, viticella and texensis groups as well. Secondly I have been reliably informed to keep them in posts for at least three years as Clematis grown in pots can be moved and replanted as required. The deeper planting method ensures that buds below the soil will spring into action should the plant get wilt or when it is pruned. As a kind of insurance policy.

Species Clematis like Montana, Tangutica and Cirrhosa are normally not planted deeper. Although these groups can be planted into the garden after two years.

regards
Ifzal

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed » June 15th, 2013, 12:16 pm

The last one is one huge flower.......real challenge for you will be Jhelum's climate which is world apart from UK...Keep posted

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan » June 20th, 2013, 1:42 pm

I acquired some random clematis varieties recently and put them in pots. I am not certain how well they will perform in Lahore since they are all large flowered 2B which likely will nt take the heat well. I am not having high expectations and this is more of an experiment for me. If it succeeds (I would judge after at least 2 years) it would make me happy. I am considering acquiring some smaller flowered varieties like the viticella and texensis which supposedly will do better in heat. I have

Hagley Hybrid
Earnest Markham
Dr Ruppel
Rosemoor
The President
Attachments
image.jpg

mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram » July 10th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Ifzal Sahib,

Opt for the Viticella, Florida group or evergreen varieties as these are more resistant to heat. Among these 3 groups, Vitcella should be the first choice as is that they do not suffer from wilting and flower more abundantly. Clematis Henryi (Evergreen) and Star of India should ought to do well. Clematis require the right medium and pruning (especially the Viticella or Florida Group varieties) to perform well.

Clematis roots tend to outgrow the pots quickly. One year variety should be planted in a 10 inch pot and in the subsequent year should be transplanted to a 14 inch pot and during the 3rd or 4th year in the ground or atleast 18 inch pot. If planting in the ground make sure that the ground bed is raised to facilitate drainage.

They required good drainage and John Innes compost available at Pride Seeds Lahore mixed with 15 % cut chunks of Coconut (Narial ka Chilka) and 3% slow release fertilizer can be one option as a medium in pots. The benefit of using cut chunks of Coconut is that they aid drainage and are cheaper substitute of perlite which is more expensive. Do not use Coconut in powder form.

Another medium can be 35% Peat Moss, 35% leaf mold, 15% coconut chunks cut into small pieces, 3% slow release fertilizer and 12% composted redwood chip barks (or use local chir pine barks). The picture shown below is of a 3 year old clematis grown on a raised bed in Lahore.

There are two or three varieties which grow wild in Murree.
Attachments
m.jpg
3 year old Multi blue in a pot
warsawnike.jpg
Warsaw Nike
Untitled-1.jpg
3 Year old Clematis currently in bloom

aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan » July 22nd, 2013, 7:55 am

After some research and contemplation I have decided to acquire the following clematis most likely to suit our Lahore climate. These are mostly small flower varieties which are spectacular not due to size but mostly abundance of blooms. I did sneak in a couple of large flowered varieties though :)

TEXENSIS,ETOILE ROSE

TEXENSIS, SIR TREVOR LAWRENCE

VITICELLA, ETOILE VIOLETTE

ROGUCHI

VITICELLA, VENOSA VIOLACEA

VITICELLA

Florida Sieboldii

COMTESSE DE BOUCHAUD

JACKMANII SUPERBA

VILLE DE LYON

CIRRHOSA, FRECKLES

TANGUTICA

VITICELLA, BETTY CORNING

VITICELLA, MME. JULIA CORREVON

JOHN HUXTABLE

ARABELLA

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir » July 23rd, 2013, 12:20 am

From where & how do you get these? Are they available in the local /Patoki Nurseries & roughly what should be their price?

aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan » July 23rd, 2013, 3:26 am

I plan on acquiring these from overseas. 4 inch pots should cost about 10-12 dollars each. Try to search on eBay. Some vendors might have clematis in Thailand and can ship to Pakistan with phytosanitary certificate.

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed » July 23rd, 2013, 3:38 am

@Dr Sb...Sir can you elaborate the modalities of obtaining phytosanitary certificate locally/abroad. And do we require this certificate from country of purchase or locally?

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir » July 23rd, 2013, 5:09 am

aykhan wrote:I plan on acquiring these from overseas. 4 inch pots should cost about 10-12 dollars each. Try to search on eBay. Some vendors might have clematis in Thailand and can ship to Pakistan with phytosanitary certificate.
Thank you Dr Sb.While I ll look on eBay-though am not good at it,is it possible that you include me in your purchase, when made?

Return to “What is blooming in your Garden?”