Hymenocallis Caribaea (spider lilly)

Showcase your garden. Tell us what is flowering around you.

Moderator: Izhar

Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Re: Hymenocallis Caribaea (spider lilly)

Post by Shazia Khurram »

I have been forever mesmerized by the fragrance of spider lilies. I'm a perfume reviewer and can't wait to get my hands on this one by Crabtree and Evelyn called ' India hicks island living spider lily". I hope the perfumer has done it justice in capturing the beautiful scent of spider lily.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435340609.579376.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435340609.579376.jpg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
tariqyasin
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Cut flowers, home garden

Post by tariqyasin »

Syed Adnan wrote:An interesting feature about the flower Hymenocallis is that world's tallest building "Burj-Khalifa" design is inspired by this flower.
http://www.burjkhalifa.ae/en/TheTower/Design.aspx
Dear Adnan Sb, thanks for sharing such an interesting fact. I have been struggling though to correlate the six petals of the flower with only three lobes of the tower which also do not appear to match with respect to their angular spacing. Maybe someone can explain it better
Attachments
burj_kalifa_design1.jpg
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

"Like petals from a stem, the tower's wings extend from its central core"......... thats the only common thing , the designer just gets an idea and rest of the design considers mainly wind forces, material optimization, earth quake loads etc. which have resulted into different angles and number of lobes.
tariqyasin

Post by tariqyasin »

Shazia Khurram wrote:I have been forever mesmerized by the fragrance of spider lilies. I'm a perfume reviewer and can't wait to get my hands on this one by Crabtree and Evelyn called ' India hicks island living spider lily". I hope the perfumer has done it justice in capturing the beautiful scent of spider lily.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435340609.579376.jpg
WOW,now here is another one, from the unraveled biology of its floral scent to the inspiration for the design of words tallest building to Crabtree and Evelyn exploiting it for their flagship perfume...i never knew the flower had so much to it. Anyway, thanks Ma'am for sharing yet another interesting aspect of the flower and if you are ever able to lay your hands on it, pl do share if they did justice with its scent or not.
tariqyasin

Post by tariqyasin »

Syed Adnan wrote:"Like petals from a stem, the tower's wings extend from its central core"......... thats the only common thing , the designer just gets an idea and rest of the design considers mainly wind forces, material optimization, earth quake loads etc. which have resulted into different angles and number of lobes.
Thanks for a very good explanation. Now that i have had another look, it has started to make more sense. If one stares at the center of the flower, then tune your eyes to ignore the petals on either sides of the top petal and the bottom petal (every alternate petal is ignored). The three remaining petals would now compare well with the tower lobes with their angular spacing also tending to sync.

Return to “What is blooming in your Garden?”