Lisbon Lemon

Showcase your garden. Tell us what is flowering around you.

Moderator: Izhar

yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Lisbon Lemon

Post by yawer »

First fruit after one year - Lisbon Lemons (seedless). Probably will be able to harvest in September, expected to grow in size twice the present. Have planted ten so far.
lisbon-1.jpg
lisbon-2.jpg
Yawer
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Lisbon Lemon

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

A Lisbon ? on what authority? Currently your fruit are round.
LISBON LEMON
The fruit is almost identical to the Eureka lemon: it is oblong with a prominent nipple (the protrusion opposite the stem end), faint pitting on the skin and a medium-thick rind. The juice is very acidic, and the pulp has few or no seeds. The Lisbon and the Eureka species are similar with these differences:
The Lisbon lemon has a smoother, thinner skin than the Eureka.
The stem end of the Lisbon does not have a neck, the blossom end (opposite to the stem end) tapers to a slight point.
The Eureka has a short neck at the stem end.
The Lisbon bears two crops a year; the Eureka can fruit nonstop.
What makes the Eureka more popular: it has no thorns. The Lisbon is a thorny tree; thorns make it more difficult to pick the fruit.
Finally, the Lisbon does better in slightly cooler climates than the Eureka, which likes consistent warm weather.
Arif
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Why doesn't someone summarise all varieties with pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

[quote="talha.bin.ayub"]Why doesn't someone summarise all varieties with pics

How about you?
yawer

Post by yawer »

"On what Authority ? Statement vague and not understandable !!"

Have planted Eureka too, which as you said, with seeds, although as the side fence is almost 500 feet long, so planted almost all types of lemons which I could get.

Lately planted Mexican lemons, round, about the size of sweet orange. Majority of varieties are from NARC Islamabad.
Yawer
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

NARC is a respectable authority for me.
Plants often get mislabelled.
Does the plant represented, confirm to two points high lighted in my post? (the shape and the thorns).
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Yawer, could you please post pictures,preferably with fruit of each variety of Lemon planted by you,also mentioning the age of the plant & the harvesting season. Also the close up of the fruit with the leaves to enable understand the difference .
Moreover,I'll also like to know separately, a detailed feed back from you about the varieties & number of all other fruit trees planted by you in your Farm-please recall our discussion before planting. Some other points of interest could be covered later. I have been off from the Forum for some months, thus am not in picture.
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Yawer can u plz share the prices that narc charges for the plants u purchased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yawer

Post by yawer »

I agree Arif sb., it did happen to get a wrong variety because of mislabeling. I had purchased few varieties from Dr Iftikhar, retired director NARC, a PhD from Michigan, as then after retirement he started his own nursery near Gujjar Khan. He keeps Potohar varieties only, and which were researched in NARC. I got Lisbon and Eureka from him, Mexican directly from NARC (yet to fruit, but I saw fruits in NARC before purchasing). Few others too from NARC. My main varieties have 3 sources - Dr Iftikhar, NARC and Turnab. For grapes I have varieties from Mr. Masud near Simly Dam in addition from NARC.

I will check for thorns etc on my next visit to farm as I visit usually on weekends. However, as per Dr Iftikhar, the major difference is of with seeds and without. The Lisbon and Eureka were around Rs.200/plant. Mexican were Rs.80/plant. Elizebath were 150/plant. American lemon from Turnab was 150/plant. Other lemons were around Rs.70/plant. Whenever the fruiting happens as planted just a year ago, I would post pictures of course.

For Munir sb., I have planted several varieties last February, to be brief - Red oranges, Kino, Grapefruit, Peaches (early grand), Laukat (Japanese), Pears, Plums (centa rosa, fazle-manani), Apricots, Apples (anna & golden dorset), Percimmon, sweet orange, fruiters, Pecan Nut, Olives, Shakri orange, Moro orange, Pomegranate, Almonds (2 varieties), Black & White Mulberries, Quince, Grapes (about 10+ varieties), Guava (local and Thai red), Cheeko, Jamun, Avacados, Falsa, Figs.

I hope didn't forget something to mention. Munir sb, if you are in Islamabad, then I would be happy to invite you to have a visit with me on weekend and then you can have a better idea of varieties.

The above plantation is apart from the living fence composed of Kaner, Motia, mardan rose and other types, Pyracanthas and Karonda. Now would be planting a mini forest on one side of the birds shed.

best regards and obliged to have such a nice guidance and support.
Yawer
yawer

Post by yawer »

Forgot one variety - That is cross between sweet orange (mitha) and Kino, developed by NARC after many years. Got few plants with great effort from them, and have planted them too this month. Would see the result when fruiting happens. One more variety they have promised to give called Solistania ornage (seedless) next February, I have tasted that, nice one.

regards
Yawer

Return to “What is blooming in your Garden?”