Read this one before buying a plant from nursery

Basics of Gardening from Seed Starting to Deadheading

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Read this one before buying a plant from nursery

Post by khabbab »

This post is for all the members specially the new comers. I have noticed that many plants which nursery owners sell at un-reasonably high cost But the plant is available either at forum member's home or plant is growing in open public or it is available at some other nursery at cheap price. I will explain through example.

1- A famous nursery at Qaddafi stadium lahore. They were selling pink trumpet vine, zimbabwe creeper at around 250 Rs or 300 Rs by saying it is imported tecoma. Now that plant is growing happily in lawrence gardens lahore. You can take as many cuttings from there with ZERO cost!!!. And in this monsoon season cuttings can be grown by infants!!!!

2- A famous nursery at model town. They were selling buddleia asiatica, a large specimen, at 1500 Rs. Again, this plant is growing not only in lawrence gardens lahore but also in GCU botanic garden and they will not object you taking a few cuttings if you ask politely.

Point is, whenever you are looking for some plant and thinking of spending your money. Give this forum a try and post it in here. Some other member from your city might help you with the plant you are looking for. Any suggestions are always welcome.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
forcetrip
City: Karachi

Re: Read this one before buying a plant from nursery

Post by forcetrip »

Definately a good idea. Anyone heard of any locations in karachi?
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Post by mirafzalkhan »

forcetrip wrote:Definately a good idea. Anyone heard of any locations in karachi?
Please explain your question.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khabbab I need to go with you to Lawrence Gardens someday when you have free time and with my Felco pruners :mrgreen:
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Good idea!
At least if some one can't get it from forum member then he can have fair idea about the price to purchase.
dear Khabbab
Is not possible to display the approximate prices of the plants along with sizes and varites
after discussing few nursery men?
In this way we will have also knowledge about the types plants availables( anuuals and perenial) for our climate.
Rafique
ayub

Post by ayub »

Definitely a nice idea
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

What about everyone adding "HAVE LIST" in his signature area which is displayed just under your post ? Everyone will know what the other person is growing and hence it can be very useful for other members if you are to get a cutting, or an exchange of some sort or atleast you can get an idea of the price from that member???
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Exactly Adnan u re right.there are many plants which can be increased by cuttings or seeds.we should make a have list,nice idea.the nursery men try to sale an ordinary plant( not in sence its not beautiful) in more money specialy if they come to know the purchaser is new in gardening World.once i asked about Lagerstonia(white).the nurseryman told me RS 200.in another place one sales man told me White Plumeria for Rs 150.
dluminar

Post by dluminar »

Dear Khubab
Appreciate for your great help for Plant buyers in your post titled "Read this one before buying plant from nursery"
I am in need of having some verities of Cactus. Kindly help me where can I find them free of cost. Specially I need prickly Pears cactus
also known as Opuntia Ficus-Indica
opuntia_ficus_indica_leaf_fruit.jpg
in Pakistani Botanical experts
and as Nopal in Mexico
prickly-pear-cactus-flowering.jpg
i shall be obliged for your help

regards
Muhammad Yousuf

Return to “Rudimentary Gardening for Novice”