Medium for containers

How to Grow in Container, Soil mixes, Fertilizers Etc

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Medium for containers

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

though not directly related to medium...but i would recommend a gadget(2 in 1 moist/PH meter) available with pride seeds that works well in a very easy way to check moisture of the medium even at depth.......top soil can be deceptive as you mentioned and even the best medium would be relying on guess work whether to water or not. This makes one do away with guessing.

http://prideseedstore.com/garden%20tools.html
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

farhan137 wrote:though not directly related to medium...but i would recommend a gadget(2 in 1 moist/PH meter) available with pride seeds that works well in a very easy way to check moisture of the medium even at depth.......top soil can be deceptive as you mentioned and even the best medium would be relying on guess work whether to water or not. This makes one do away with guessing.

http://prideseedstore.com/garden%20tools.html
I have my doubts regarding the reliability of this particular instrument (I have it). such gadgets may be of assistance to some one having a few pots but if you have say over 500 pots you want a medium for the containers which is forgiving.
I do not expect my MALI to inspect each pot before watering. My solution to the problem is;
A well draining permeable medium which will not hold excessive water. The quantity of water to each pot is decided by the space from top of soil to the rim of the pot. Frequency is decided according to environmental conditions and demands of the plant.
I hope it will be helpful to some.
Arif
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

True

Return to “Container Gardening Articles”