container gardening starter

How to Grow in Container, Soil mixes, Fertilizers Etc

Moderator: Izhar

Mashal Ch
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Container Gardening

container gardening starter

Post by Mashal Ch »

im new to gardening concept i join forum to get information but honestly main too pehlay say bhi ziaad confuse ho chuki hoon :( meray mind main kuch sawaal hei i hope mj ko answer mil jae ga 8-)
im planning to plant winter flowers in up coming winters of 2014 but i dny know what to do there is thing
i want to plant in containers
recommend me some easiest growing winter flowers to plant and then bloom as im totally new to this ?
is raat ki raani winter flower or summer flower,where to get this because according to pride seed lahore they dont sell raat ki raani flower?
my main confusion is mix,should i get readymade mix like compost from pride seed store or i should go to any good local nursary to get soil for flowers?
if i use readymade compost then i need to fertilise flower like plant food etc etc?
ok recommend me perennial flowers i think it would be more economical to plant perennial than annual flowers :P
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: container gardening starter

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Basically I am not a container gardener, as no one has come to your help I will butt in, but I must have the following information.
How many and of what size containers you plan to have?
What watering interval you are looking for?
Any experience in gardening?
Arif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Please go through the following thread.
Recommended as a re-fresher to all.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2349#p21723
Arif
isaeed
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: ornamental trees and shrubs,vines.bulbs,flowers

hanging basket

Post by isaeed »

I am preparing hanging baskets for my house.The baskets are made of wire with cococoir lining.For the media using substrate mixed with compost.Various combinations of trailing petunias,trailing antirrhunums,linaria ,lobelia , begonias and red star hadiras go in each pot The baskets are hung on branches of trees inside the compound of my house.Hopefully in another two to three weeks the trailing plants will flower and spill over the basket to give a pleasing look.Doing the same for wall mounted containers.
Any suggestions on other flowering plants suitable for use in hanging baskets for zone 10/11 (Lahore) will be most welcome.
Irfan
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Mashal Ch wrote:im new to gardening concept i join forum to get information but honestly main too pehlay say bhi ziaad confuse ho chuki hoon :( meray mind main kuch sawaal hei i hope mj ko answer mil jae ga 8-)
im planning to plant winter flowers in up coming winters of 2014 but i dny know what to do there is thing
i want to plant in containers
recommend me some easiest growing winter flowers to plant and then bloom as im totally new to this ?
is raat ki raani winter flower or summer flower,where to get this because according to pride seed lahore they dont sell raat ki raani flower?
my main confusion is mix,should i get readymade mix like compost from pride seed store or i should go to any good local nursary to get soil for flowers?
if i use readymade compost then i need to fertilise flower like plant food etc etc?
ok recommend me perennial flowers i think it would be more economical to plant perennial than annual flowers :P

IS YOUR PROBLEM SOLVED OR YOU HAVE LOST INTEREST?
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: hanging basket

Post by Hamad »

isaeed wrote:I am preparing hanging baskets for my house.The baskets are made of wire with cococoir lining.For the media using substrate mixed with compost.Various combinations of trailing petunias,trailing antirrhunums,linaria ,lobelia , begonias and red star hadiras go in each pot The baskets are hung on branches of trees inside the compound of my house.Hopefully in another two to three weeks the trailing plants will flower and spill over the basket to give a pleasing look.Doing the same for wall mounted containers.
Any suggestions on other flowering plants suitable for use in hanging baskets for zone 10/11 (Lahore) will be most welcome.
Irfan
Share some pics, as per my limited knowledge and practice about annuals, trialling species don't do well in our climate and specially begonia is not for hot climate, I m a big fan of trailing plants and would love rather really love to have them in baskets, if you get any success please do share with details.
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
isaeed
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: ornamental trees and shrubs,vines.bulbs,flowers

Post by isaeed »

Sure thing Hammad will post pics when petunias and antirrhunums trail over. These plants bloom before intense heat of the summer sets in so you have at least 4to 6 weeks of a beautiful hanging basket . I had posted a photo of a hanging basket that I had prepared last year .pls check it out from the archives.It really looked attractive hanging from a tree branch
Irfan

Return to “Container Gardening Articles”