SOIL PH

Air-Layering, Grafting, Cuttings Etc

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: SOIL PH

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Mogra never looked happy with me so I discarded it, I will now get another plant and grow it in acidic soil.

Is your PH meter reliable mine looks like yours, Chinese and I doubt its reliability.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I doubt its accuracy but not reliability :mrgreen:

Will judge by using a buffer solution of constant pH. It shows different reading in Vinegar solution, Battery Solution, Tap Water, Ammonium Sulfate solution and Ferrous Sulfate solution....

This plant is my new Gardenia (imported one)... it was getting worse day by day with weak and cholorotic leaves... it shed all the leaves, the new growth was yellow and thin... it changed dramatically after the use of battery solution...
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

UPDATE:

The experiment ended in vain as the plant was not watered when i was away and it dried..

But another experiment went excellent, i.e. mixing peat in the soil, look at this, it is a local variegated gardenia:

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Had you fed them Ferrous sulphate the result would have been even better.
I got blooms much more than ever before, the plants are much more greener.

Arif
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

This is true Sir, ferrous sulfate has to be used in large quantities and regularly... it is convenient for pots and for curing cholorosis... i had given this plant ferrous sulfate before, it turned it green but after a month the new leaves were cholorotiic again... peat was used in June and still the plant is producing healthy leaves....
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

My fertiliser mix, which I use regularly in all beds has ample Iron sulphate.
Alam64
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Plants

Post by Alam64 »

Izhar wrote: April 22nd, 2014, 9:31 pm Sir, this is the safest way to reduce cholorosis... kindly do let us know your regimen to use them... if the battery water solution worked, then it will be the most inexpensive way to reduce the soil pH.
Purchased battery water and used two spoons on 10 liter water. The ph meter needle didnt even budge, so read the fine print on bottle and it turned out the ph was 7.5. So even if i use the bottle without diluting it the ph would be 7.5.
Are there different concentration of battery water as somewhere i read that by using that the ph of water was 3.5 on moisture meter
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Use battery acid... usually available in red color bottle
Alam64

Post by Alam64 »

Oh ok i saw that but wasnt sure if it was the right stuff. Thank u so much
Alam64

Post by Alam64 »

Izhar wrote: April 23rd, 2014, 9:41 am Thank you all for the positive words... :)

Today the plants are not showing any distress sign, i have been given this gadget (not sure about its accuracy):

So i used it to check the pH. My water runs at 7, my planting medium is nearly 8 (just below 8) and the solution i made is below 3.5 (the meter has lowest reading of pH as 3.5)

It is interesting to observe that when i poured the solution in the pot, the pH just decreased to a value between 6 and 7.... so i guess there are plenty of buffering compounds in the medium... will water my two plants on daily basis with this solution...
Mine decreased from 8 to around 7. This will work on pots but will take a lot of effort to decrease the PH of garden. Any other solution

Return to “Advance Gardening”