indoor cultivation under grow lights

Air-Layering, Grafting, Cuttings Etc

Moderator: Izhar

Rizwan
City: london

indoor cultivation under grow lights

Post by Rizwan »

salaam.

I have been cultivating plants indoors for the last 4 years, and raising seedlings in the off season under tube lights, i have 2 400 watt HPS lights and several tube lights for vegging, now the new thing is growing under LED lights which is chepear to run and has full spectrum of light which plants love.

i was wondering if anyone else has entertained the idea of growing indoors in a spare room under horticultural lights and are these lights easy top obtain in Pakistan , is there any shops that sell grow lights ? and has anyone else ever considered it

if anyone has any questions about indoor cultivation i am here to answer all your questions as best as i can..
dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Re: indoor cultivation under grow lights

Post by dragoonsers »

heylo. thought i'd reply to this :)

umm unlike the u.k pakistans weather allows growing things almost the whole year and the whole year in frost-free areas ie. Karachi. so there isn't really a need to cultivate plants indoors?

BUT even so, electricity has become quite expensive and if it isn't obvious by our news channels, extremely elusive if i may so. so the idea of growing under lights indoors is awesome, but not so practical in our conditions. cheers :)
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by tweedle2009 »

I built a make shift lab for tissue culture purpose which failed as I was not able to get shoots from Callous.I now use that for germinating seeds indoors.I use vermicultire as media while growing indoors.
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

thanks for the replys.....

i guess with the mild winters, you can still grow herbs and such outdoors in Karachi ?

tweedle.:- what type of lights did you use for indoors, just general shop lights ? ( tube lights) and if so what wattage are they!?

there is a big buzz about LED lights ( light emitting diodes) give of small amounts of heat and are cheaper to run, its still a while away though and they are expensive to buy right now but i think in the next few years the LED lights will be fordable
usman.haq
City: Islamabad

Post by usman.haq »

Hi Tweedle
Can you share some tips on how you are managing the vermiculture, it would not be related to this thread, but you can start a new one.
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

to the person who sent me a pm

its a great idea to start of indoors when its way to hot for outdoors :)

this is the beauty of grow lights.. now i have the regular shop lights with the "cool white" bulb the lights are 5 feet long, and its a twin 35 watt so i have 70 watts of power, these are great to raise seeds to young healthy seedlings which grow to there 3rd set of leaves really easily

you will need to hook up a system using rope or whatever you have in hand, so when the plant grows you can adjust the lights above them, trust me once the first set of leave start to grow it will grow rapid and you will be adjusting the lights every other day, you can keep the lights one inch for the seeding it will not burn it at all.. if you can get a light with a diffuser thats even better. remember the g0lden rule the more wattage the light the more healthy and quicker your plant will grow.. you can put the light on a 12/12 cycle or 18/6 or 24/0 depending on how fast you need them seedlings.

Christmas cactus indoors under light

passion flower

Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

here is a general basic guide to indoor lights, as you can see how many diff types of chilis i grew indoors and yuu can clearly see the lushness of the chili plants they are almost dark green and so shiny and healthy with zero insect damage or any other health issues..

http://www.muslimgrower.com/discussionf ... d.php?t=36
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

you can get particular seedlings that you wish to grow twice as fast indoors as you can outdoors, simply because the sun aint shining outdoors 24 hours a day but indoors it can, so the plant will continue to grow in vegetative growth as long as you have that light ON, i mean you can grow a tomato plant indoors from seed to full harvest in under 3 months with the right lights for flowering, you can even trick plants into flowering really early by manipulating the light cycles.

you can keep seedlings alive for years and years under low light so it doesn't grow bigger and it wont die either you just keep it frozen in time and then introduce a more powerful light to it and it will resume its growth and then you can take cuttings from it and leave it under low light again once you have pruned it back and pruned the rootball to put in a small container under the low light...
so many possibilities with indoor grow lights....
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

35W fluorescent bulbs housed in the canopy provide bright full spectrum lighting ( 6400 Kelvin each) whilst using less electricty combined than a standard light bulb. - The electronic ballasts eliminate annoying buzzing and ensure 'no flicker' start up. - Each bulb lasts up to 10,000hrs so its worth the effort :)
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

if you do get yourself some lights, try getting the one with the highest wattage even if you buy it second hand thats cool as well, just get some new bulbs for them and you're ready :)

get your self a timer too so this way you wont need to manually do any switching OFF or ON, in my experience its best to get a mechanical timer rather than a electronic timer, the latter break down to quickly i have noticed plus the mechanical timers are much cheaper and last longer :)

Return to “Advance Gardening”