City: lahore

What is Witch Hazel – 10 Amazing Uses & Benefits Read more:

Post by fa113nang311 »

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: What is Witch Hazel – 10 Amazing Uses & Benefits Read m

Post by M Farooq »

Dear, I appreciate your efforts to highlight the uses of plants for medicinal uses, but most of the plants you suggest are purely non-indigenous plants- which unfortunately do not grow in locally. Secondly, commercial webpages are the last resort to obtain scientific and medical information which at times can be misleading. Even trust-worthy Wikipedia has glaring mistakes at times.
fa113nang311
City: lahore

Post by fa113nang311 »

thank you farooq bhai for ur insight but although these herbs are non-indegenous these can be found all over the world except pakistan and other backward countries..but nowadays everything is a finger click away and we can easily order ANY or most herb or exotic plant from USA or UK sites online...i am just trying to inform people of these kind of herbs as they are new to them and me too...and about commercial websites they also print articles for which research is done in this case from book The New Age Herbalist, by Richard Mabey..
thanx and next time i will try to keep my suggestion to myself only....
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

We do appreciate your input and keep on posting.. sharing information is one of the primary purpose of this forum.. Farooq was just trying to point out the scientific research on most of these beneficial plants is limited.. for example, Garlic is said to be cholesterol lowering agent.. but many controlled scientific research doesn't support this... another thing is that Indian subcontinent is a hub for nearly all of the medicinal plants/herbs found in world but you will not see most of these on internet..
Any how you are most welcome to share information based on scientific research...
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Izhar wrote:We do appreciate your input and keep on posting.. sharing information is one of the primary purpose of this forum.. Farooq was just trying to point out the scientific research on most of these beneficial plants is limited.. for example, Garlic is said to be cholesterol lowering agent.. but many controlled scientific research doesn't support this... another thing is that Indian subcontinent is a hub for nearly all of the medicinal plants/herbs found in world but you will not see most of these on internet..
Any how you are most welcome to share information based on scientific research...
fa113nang311 wrote:thank you farooq bhai for ur insight but although these herbs are non-indegenous these can be found all over the world except pakistan and other backward countries..but nowadays everything is a finger click away and we can easily order ANY or most herb or exotic plant from USA or UK sites online...i am just trying to inform people of these kind of herbs as they are new to them and me too...and about commercial websites they also print articles for which research is done in this case from book The New Age Herbalist, by Richard Mabey..
thanx and next time i will try to keep my suggestion to myself only....
I would agree with Izhar that I wasn't trying to police around in a forum which equally belongs to everyone....but that was just an earnest suggestion, because I myself believe in the importance of medicinal plants. My training in science has taught me to question claims. Not long time ago, a series of letters appeared in the Dawn newspaper that allshampoos contain a cancer causing detergent and the reference was Wikipedia. I checked the authentic literature about that component and published a letter in Dawn that it is wrong info being continusouly appearing in such an esteemed newspaper. And as Izhar has rightly said that the distribution of medicinal plants in our country/ esp South Asia is extremelyrich. See for e.g. a govt level database
http://www.parc.gov.pk/data/medicinal/m ... ect+a+Name

We are really not that bad in agriculture and plant sciences (in terms of backwardness, as one may feel :-))...I have seen graduates from Faislabad University of Agriculture and HEJ Institute of Natural Products Chemistry being hired as faculty members in foreign universities. And this very year, our cotton scientist Dr. Yusuf Zafer was declared the BEST cotton scientist in the world. :-)

Return to “Medicinal Plants”