Fuit trees in Islamabad

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Fuit trees in Islamabad

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Janjua sb never go for the 5 ft trees. Start from small plants so they get establish before they are mature enough to fruit.Another thing there are nurseries which are only sales fruit trees.The bigger issue what you are getting is it a registered stuff.
Janjua
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit trees, vegetables

Post by Janjua »

Umar sb thanks for the info, i really appreciate you input. I would go for the 3 feet seedlings then. Would you recommend any nursery in islamabad/Pindi area where i can get certified fuit tree kinds that you and Munir sb recommended.
Thanks again
yawer
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Pecan Nut

Post by yawer »

Strangely H8 nurseries except Pattoki one, did not had the Pecan Nut Tree which is very successful in Potohar area. Anyone can help from where a good variety can be obtained ?

I have already planted around 200 fruit trees in the Farm and looking for some different ones like Ginko Bioloba tree, Nutmeg, Jackfruit etc
Yawer
yawer

Post by yawer »

Janjua Sahib,

Did you manage to get hold of good varieties of fruit trees ?

regards
Yawer
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Yawner sahib,

Sorry for late reply but haven't checked back on the forum since the summer. Unfortunately like it happens the farm house I am constructing is coming along slower then I anticipated so we missed the last planting season but the orchard should be ready for this painting season in January . Please let me know if there are any new varieties that I should try for the upcoming growing season. I plan to plant about 50 fruit trees. I am planning 2 to 3 of each type of fruit tree , also if you have any info about Olive tree success in our area.
Thanks and sorry again for the late reply
Janjua
yawer

Post by yawer »

Janjua sb,

I have planted about 250 fruit trees so far. Challenging task was to get hold of right varieties for Potohar Region. Most of my fruit trees are from a Nursery near Gujjar Khan which is being run by Dr. Iftikkar. He is a retired NARC scientist and a PhD from Michigan State USA. He did lot of research on Potohar varieties and that was the reason for me to get fruit trees from him. Additional advantage was that one gets the right kind of technical information, and help in better managing the trees for free. I have planted so far Orange red, Naghpuri, Kino, Grape fruit, Percimon, Loakat, Lemons, Peach, Pecan Nut, Fruiter, Mitha, Mulberry, Ber, Figs, Almonds, Plums, Apricot, Aloocha(beauty), Quince, Avacado, Pomegranate, Grapes, Cheeko etc. I did the same thing as planting few of all varieties so you get fruit all year round.

However, Dr. Iftikhar was not so optimistic about Olives here as he said that olives 'do grow' but does not contain enough oil for a commercial or substantial production. But at a home orchard, yes can be grown and bets used would be for pickles.

Hope this helps.

regards
Yawer
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Yawer sb,

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful . In April i had gone to NARC and got the info from the current head of the fruit tree dept. It has been a while so thanks for the refresher . I will definitely try most of the fruit types you mentioned plus probably litchi . I will try the Bari try olives if i find them as i just need them for home use and if some possible press my own olive oil. If you have address and the contact info of Dr Iftikhar's nursery let me know. My first challenge is to get the orchard ready before January. By the way the red flesh apple you mentioned in another post i do grow it but obviously not in potohar and i have some success but have only 2 trees and it is a different type then the Iranian type.
Thanks
yawer

Post by yawer »

Janjua Sb.,

Following is the contact number of Dr. Iftikhar;
0333 5301762
In case if he is not approachable then his son who also helps him to run the nursery has following number;
Ashfaq 03445313625

I also plan to plant 15 fruit trees this year too, and most probably Apple (4 trees). My choice would be Anna or Dorset Golden but can try or any other variety too if got hold to ! Do you have any good place to find nursery for Apples having good knowledge ? Otherwise would look either from Tarnab, or Dr. Iftikhar as he has the tested varieties for Isb region and surrounding. For Herbs I will look for Dr Hameed who has impressive knowledge and have a nursery almost opposite NARC.

regards
Yawer
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Yawer Sb,

Thanks for the info, i will definitely try to get ahold of Dr Iftikhar in a month's time or so. I am not planning to put in apple trees in the orchard as i was told our area is not conducive to a fruit bearing apple tree. I do have an orchard with apple trees including the scarlet surprise which is the red inside out apple but it is in a cooler climate and my knowledge of apple trees would not be applicable to potohar area. Have you had any luck with Mangoes in potohar.
Thanks again for the info.
regards
Janjua
yawer

Post by yawer »

Janjua sb.,
I agree that apple trees require high chill, but Dr. Iftikhar developed low chill varieties for Potohar area successfully. So I would plant only that variety specially developed for this area. Same case with the Pomegranate variety which has been specially developed for Potohar area. One of my nearby farm holder Maj Zahid has planted almost 400 Pomegranate trees of this Potohar Variety (red ones).

Mangoes have not been very successful here. I have planted only one (Desi variety) just to test it but it is just for fun as not much hope for a good fruiting.

regards
Yawer

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”