Fragrant Royal Poinciana /Gul Mohar plant ....

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Fragrant Royal Poinciana /Gul Mohar plant ....

Post by M Farooq »

newton wrote:For the last two months I have unsuccessfully scoured all the nurseries around Jhelum, Kharian, mirpur and Gujarat looking for this tree to plant in our new garden.

Seems its not a popular tree to keep around here, now I understand why but nevertheless I am going to give it another try by ordering from patoki nurseries albeit the Mali will have to collect as I'm currently back in the uk

Regards
Ifzal
There might be a reason for Delonix not being popular. It will not survive cold at all ( approx. less than 10 degrees). Leafs burn and drop :-(

Regards.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

There are large Gulmohar trees planted along the length of Ali Zeb Road in Gulberg, Lahore. Amaltas is on the other side of the road. It is a true site when there is red fiery show on one side and a yellow one on the other. These trees come back every Spring in Lahore looking completely dead in winter. I planted two
outside my house and they came back this Spring. I don't see why established trees should die in frost free cities like Lahore. Could be termite maybe?
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

aykhan wrote:There are large Gulmohar trees planted along the length of Ali Zeb Road in Gulberg, Lahore. Amaltas is on the other side of the road. It is a true site when there is red fiery show on one side and a yellow one on the other. These trees come back every Spring in Lahore looking completely dead in winter. I planted two outside my house and they came back this Spring. I don't see why established trees should die in frost free cities like Lahore. Could be termite maybe?
Amaltas & gul-moher make a lovely scene! I agree...termites love gul-moher probably because its wood is so soft & weak.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

The main entrance road of Lahore Garrison Golf club had rows of Gul Mohar trees on both sides, those were about 30 years old some died in 2011-12 winter and over a dozen this winter, now only a few are left
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

I have seeds of this tree, can we try this tree from seeds any recommendations?
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad wrote:I have seeds of this tree, can we try this tree from seeds any recommendations?
Hamad
In my experiece in seeing these flame of the forest trees (>20 years) around our house, I have never seen a seed sprout "naturally" after the pods split apart and fall on the ground. Although it is propagated by seeds. The seeds are super hard. Thus the pre-treatment is ultra harsh too!

For example:
The seeds should be pre-treated by soaking in sulphuric acid for three hours, alternatively, immerse in boiling water for 10 seconds then
soak in cold-tepid water for 24 hours. This should increase germination significantly.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/pdfs/in ... _regia.pdf
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

you are right Farooq, I will try as an experiment ;)
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad wrote: you are right Farooq, I will try as an experiment ;)
Hamad
May be try the boiling water experiment and see if that works. Sulfuric acid pre-treatment of hard shelled seeds, although common, is too dangerous. I have never done it myself just came across this idea in one horticulture textbook.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I can also suggest that for hard shelled seeds keep it in water for a day and then keep it in a moist cloth and when it is sprouted place it in soil. My experience.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Mustansir Billah wrote:I can also suggest that for hard shelled seeds keep it in water for a day and then keep it in a moist cloth and when it is sprouted place it in soil. My experience.
This approach also works quite well for the majority. However, if you happen to see Atrabotrys seeds or the flame of the forest seeds, they are unusually hard. That's why the recommendation for those seeds is concentrated sulfuric acid soaking or a quick boiling water treatment. With that you can imagine how tough the seed covering is. The seeds will take ages to grow naturally. That's the way God has protected those seeds.

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”