Lemon Tree

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Lemon Tree

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I bought a lemon plant in the late winter and it started flourishing at the start of the spring. It had many buds which came out but few of them bloomed and all of them died afterwards. Now, the condition of the plant is very bad and its stems are also becoming dark brown. The new leaves are also withering. Tell me the solution for this problem. Waiting for reply....
I am aslo uploading some pictures so to had a clear veiw of my plant situation..
Attachments
At Current stage
At Current stage
Earlier
Earlier
Lemon.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Lemon Tree

Post by Izhar »

Chop the dead branches... buy a soluble NPK from garden shops in front of old sabzi mandi.. also look buy a fungicide from Empress market, Saddar...

Make a solution of 1 tea spoon soluble NPK dissolved in 2 liters of water, give this solution to the lemon plant on daily basis.. Mix 3 ml of fungicide in 1 liter of water and give this solution weekly to the plant... stop the fungicide solution when you see healthy growth.. you can use a disposable syringe for measuring accurate volume of fungicide... keep the plant in full sun... share your results here after one month...
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Izhar wrote:Chop the dead branches... buy a soluble NPK from garden shops in front of old sabzi mandi.. also look buy a fungicide from Empress market, Saddar...

Make a solution of 1 tea spoon soluble NPK dissolved in 2 liters of water, give this solution to the lemon plant on daily basis.. Mix 3 ml of fungicide in 1 liter of water and give this solution weekly to the plant... stop the fungicide solution when you see healthy growth.. you can use a disposable syringe for measuring accurate volume of fungicide... keep the plant in full sun... share your results here after one month...
Wouldn't it be advisable to transfer the lemon into soil or at least into a larger pot?

In my experience, leaf miner is also a curse on lemon trees. I don't know a solution for leaf miner.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

This plant is right now struggling with soil borne fungus (ungrafted/own root lemon plants are susceptible to soil borne fungus, there are reports on whole orchard in vicinity of Hyderabad dying due to this)... once it becomes a healthy and growing plant, it will be a better option to transfer it into ground or a bigger pot... leafminor could be easily controlled (read prevented) in ornamental plants by regular pesticide spray but for edibles it is not a safe practice...
safi310
City: Lahore

Post by safi310 »

AoA,
I am having some similar problem as well. My lemon tree in a large pot is growing great. The only problem is that it took many flowers but none of them developed any fruit on it. They just get Brown and fall off. I have tried doing manual pollination process but no success. Please help.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

It needs some trace elements, buy some water soluble fertilizer with trace elements in it...
safi310

Post by safi310 »

Izhar wrote:It needs some trace elements, buy some water soluble fertilizer with trace elements in it...
I have been using it since last 1.5 months, even before the flowers appeared !!!
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

safi310 wrote:AoA,
I am having some similar problem as well. My lemon tree in a large pot is growing great. The only problem is that it took many flowers but none of them developed any fruit on it. They just get Brown and fall off. I have tried doing manual pollination process but no success. Please help.
From the FAQ of University of Florida's website:

6. Why do my citrus blooms drop without setting?
Citrus must be planted 3 to 4 years before it becomes mature enough to set fruit. It may bloom prolifically, but it will drop its blooms. Even mature citrus sets only a very small amount of its bloom (less than 1%).

That raises a question: How old is your lemon tree? Please post a picture of your tree as well.
safi310

Post by safi310 »

Spot on ! It's around 1.5 years old and its first bloom. So this means I have to wait for another 1.5 years :(
I ll post the pic as well
karachigardener

Post by karachigardener »

@ Izhar, You mentioned a water soluble fungicide. Could you please share the name for the product? Thanks

Hammad

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”