Fast Growing Trees in Islamabad

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

baberrabbani
City: Islamabad

Re: Fast Growing Trees in Islamabad

Post by baberrabbani »

Thanks for your replies and concern for my problem.

Yes. I plan to live for long time in the house ( If Allah permitts ).

Another problem is pollen. My 5 year old son has pollen allergy. I hope this tree is not much of a pollen problem?

If I finally take decision of Canocarpus, I would love to have plain grass lawn between home and proposed fencing of canocarpus. I would not opt for fragrant flowers which has lesser height because I want to block sight/image of nullah too.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

baberrabbani wrote:Thanks for your replies and concern for my problem.

Yes. I plan to live for long time in the house ( If Allah permitts ).

Another problem is pollen. My 5 year old son has pollen allergy. I hope this tree is not much of a pollen problem?

If I finally take decision of Canocarpus, I would love to have plain grass lawn between home and proposed fencing of canocarpus. I would not opt for fragrant flowers which has lesser height because I want to block sight/image of nullah too.
Good luck...go for it. Conocarpus flowers after a long time. If you were in Karachi Neem would have been the best. And pollen can come from any flowering plant...so there is no way to avoid it completely!
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Farooq, I can't place this tree. What is the common local name?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Extracts from study carried out by botanist of Karachi.....we have to keep in mind that there has been mass plantation of conocarpus in Karachi.

"A relevant case is that of Conocarpus Erectus, known for spreading pollen in the air like Paper Mulberry. Various studies show it can cause severe allergic reactions in humans. There are several problems associated with this specie of mangrove tree. It produces several toxic compounds and has the tendency to destroy local vegetation, thus causing environmental imbalance, she explained. The government authorities should consult scientists (Botanists) before they begin plantations, Dr Perveen suggested".

I studied the internet for other sources but the above claim could not be ratified. Rather i developed this impact that conocarpus is a non issue pollen wise.

This being said and the comment by the lady the same source quotes again later in the article

"Thankfully, he added, Karachi is not much affected by pollen till now. Most RTIs are caused by dust mites, cockroaches and fungus; while the maximum number of such diseases occur in the months of April, October and November, Dr Imam informed."

http://www.pakstudy.com/index.php?topic=10634.0;wap2

So i would conclude....if Karachi is not suffering from pollen issue due to conocarpus. You shouldn't.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Detail study on conocarpus.....if you want to go deep

http://www.google.com.pk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 4034,d.Yms
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

munir wrote:Farooq, I can't place this tree. What is the common local name?
Munir shb, nursery men know it by this name or by its distorted pronunciation. I guess this is a newly introduced plant in Pk so probably the local name does not exist.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

farhan137 wrote:Extracts from study carried out by botanist of Karachi.....we have to keep in mind that there has been mass plantation of conocarpus in Karachi.

"A relevant case is that of Conocarpus Erectus, known for spreading pollen in the air like Paper Mulberry. Various studies show it can cause severe allergic reactions in humans. There are several problems associated with this specie of mangrove tree. It produces several toxic compounds and has the tendency to destroy local vegetation, thus causing environmental imbalance, she explained. The government authorities should consult scientists (Botanists) before they begin plantations, Dr Perveen suggested".
I studied the internet for other sources but the above claim could not be ratified. Rather i developed this impact that conocarpus is a non issue pollen wise. This being said and the comment by the lady the same source quotes again later in the article
"Thankfully, he added, Karachi is not much affected by pollen till now. Most RTIs are caused by dust mites, cockroaches and fungus; while the maximum number of such diseases occur in the months of April, October and November, Dr Imam informed."
http://www.pakstudy.com/index.php?topic=10634.0;wap2

So i would conclude....if Karachi is not suffering from pollen issue due to conocarpus. You shouldn't.
Academic researchers like to create hype - that is the current trend in science to keep yourself in the news :-). I would agree with Farhan that my mother is allergic to pollen but she has not complained anything about Conocarpus for the last 5-6 years.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

M Farooq wrote:
munir wrote:Farooq, I can't place this tree. What is the common local name?
Munir shb, nursery men know it by this name or by its distorted pronunciation. I guess this is a newly introduced plant in Pk so probably the local name does not exist.
.. Thank you Farooq; I ll consult a good Nursery- just for interest.

.. In my view,Bamboo & Orange trees are not bad choices either. Planted close together, they could become a dense growth/hedge providing added security & somewhat reduce the foul odour of the nullah water. The latter ie, Orange trees are also a source of unmatched frangrance in its season.

.. Baber, a Mr. Faisal-owner of Tuba(wholesale)Nurseries on Kurri Road is a well clude up person, who could provide useful comparitive information/advice & be a reasonably cheaper source of larger size trees. His No.is: 0334-5123934. If you want to visit Peshawar Mor or Park road Nurseries,I can provide some references there also.
baberrabbani

Post by baberrabbani »

Really Thankful to all of you. A pleasant surprise that people still like to help one another without any benefit.

After focussing the choice as canocarpus as ornamental tree, I would put another question.

What if I opt for fruit trees for the same purpose? Which fruit trees would grow well on such site near nullah?
Of course fruit trees give you a satisfaction that one is contributing or gaining something too along with "fringe benefits ".

Any possibility and suggestion?
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Fruit trees won't serve your purpose......

Slow growth rate.
Can not be closely planted for the effect you want.
Most won't tolerate moisture conditions that you mentioned due running water.
deciduous or would require pruning..considering your zone, thereby nullah will again be exposed.
Require specialized care.

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”