search for a flowering tree

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

search for a flowering tree

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

This winter one of my 4 year old African Tulip tree died, and the other is badly crippled. Suggest me a flowering tree from your wish list, I already have the following trees;

Ornamental trees
Alexander Palms, Fish tail Palms, Fox tail Palm
Butea, Bottle brush, Brachichiton
Chorisia, Casia fistula (Ammaltas), // // X Bakariana , C-Nadosa
C Grandis, C Javanica, C glata
Michellia Champaca, Royal Paulownia, Straculia
Tabebuia carabia (yellow & white), Tabebuia Serratifolia (pink & yellow), // (Marwa like leaf)
Tulip tree, Terminalia
The larger the better, should survive and bloom in Lahore.
Arif
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: search for a flowering tree

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:This winter one of my 4 year old African Tulip tree died, and the other is badly crippled. Suggest me a flowering tree from your wish list, I already have the following trees;

Ornamental trees
Alexander Palms, Fish tail Palms, Fox tail Palm
Butea, Bottle brush, Brachichiton
Chorisia, Casia fistula (Ammaltas), // // X Bakariana , C-Nadosa
C Grandis, C Javanica, C glata
Michellia Champaca, Royal Paulownia, Straculia
Tabebuia carabia (yellow & white), Tabebuia Serratifolia (pink & yellow), // (Marwa like leaf)
Tulip tree, Terminalia
The larger the better, should survive and bloom in Lahore.
Arif
My all time favourite Bauhinia is missing from your excellent collection. Where did get Michelia from? Is it the orange one and does it have the famous fragrance or is very light. I am dying for Michelia. I had white but was not impressed with the fragrance.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Delonix regia / Caesalpinia...... you have tried i guess/or you had it in recent past.......for my money, i would die trying :-) that is how much i like it. My limitation is that i have no permanent aboard to try trees.

BTW why did you loose it. Climatically i don't think there is any problem. If Delhi with similar climate of Lahore can have Gulmohar park then why not Lahore?

Erythrina indica

I see crepe myrtle missing....if you can compromise on size, you can go for multiple colors. It will be an instant reward.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

farhan137 wrote:Delonix regia / Caesalpinia...... you have tried i guess/or you had it in recent past.......for my money, i would die trying :-) that is how much i like it. My limitation is that i have no permanent aboard to try trees.

Erythrina indica
What a lovely choice. Farhan, if you are still in Karachi, ask Shalimar. I think they have a variety which can give flowers in a decent large sized pot.
Poor me, the collector gardener, had this one too and lost it, I was told! I should make a Taj Mahal of my lost tropicals.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Farooq Sb.....Not in Karachi.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Farooq, I am sorry I missed to mention your favourite. I have 5 plants of Kachnar and to my surprise although only 4-5 feet tall they all bloomed this spring and had different colours, I also failed to mention Melaleuca (snow bird tree).
It is pink Michellia.

Farhan I don’t know why I do not like Erythrina perhaps it is it shape. Crepe Myrtle shrubs are there in all colours.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Farooq, I am sorry I missed to mention your favourite. I have 5 plants of Kachnar and to my surprise although only 4-5 feet tall they all bloomed this spring and had different colours, I also failed to mention Melaleuca (snow bird tree).
It is pink Michellia.

Farhan, I don’t know why I do not like Erythrina perhaps it is it shape. Crepe Myrtle shrubs are there in all colours.
Arif sahab, can you show pictures of your Kachnar? I am looking for one specific colour for ages but nurseries don't have them or they sell the wrong one. Secondly, I have never seen pink Michelia. And what about the fragrance. Is it Magnolia, rather?
Attachments
Funchal_-_Bauhinia_variegata_(Orchideenbaum)_IMG_2104.JPG
Funchal_-_Bauhinia_variegata_(Orchideenbaum)_IMG_2104.JPG (29.47 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Sorry, I have no pictures. All Kachnar plants available here are seedlings so you never know what will it be.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Was just wondering........How about a stroll in Lawrence Garden and see if anything interest you. I guess you must have visited earlier but trees specifically in mind maybe can result in some idea.

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”