Fuit trees in Islamabad

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Re: Fuit trees in Islamabad

Post by yawer »

I would tend to agree with Munir sb on all of his points. Trying to be economical and timely work, my latest progress is that I have managed to get an excavator which was already mobilized in vicinity which saved me mobilization charges. So managed to have 150 holes dug up in 6 hours !! Although not exact size as I wanted (3x3x3 feet) but at least not less than that which means filling it with more material which I don't mind. After Nawar (leaving for Umrah on Jan 08, 2014 so not availabale anyway), I contacted few others and found Pattoki Nursery (plot 11-Peshawar mor) very reasonable. I met the person there (visiting card says Liaqat Ali). He had plenty of knowledge and gave a convenient way that just give list of trees and numbers and also which variety you require (e.g., orange red blood, shakri of haripur, or from Sargodha etc), he would send the truck early morning with 2-3 people and will finish the planting task in one day. I plan to plant around 27-30 different types of trees.
I plan to fill the holes back end of December, water them and place order to get plantation done end of January or first week of February.
Watering system manual piping with overhead tank from Borehole which will be solar powered by end of December.
Today I brought three types of soil samples from land which is predominantly sandy silt to silty sand. Ph value is okay. Would show to Nursery person to have his opinion if Bhal is required or this soil would suffice as land is virgin.
For Janjua sb. this nursery also sells Figs and Olives, as I would also be planting these.
Any valuable suggestion is welcome.
Yawer
Janjua
Gardening Interests: Fruit trees, vegetables

Post by Janjua »

Thanks Munir Sahib that was very helpful. We would definetely start working on the pits to gen ready for January feburary planting.
The types of trees that i am planning to plant are listed below. If you have any input about the varieties please let me know and that info will be much appreciated.
Apples, Apricots, Fig, Iitchie, Lemon, Orange, Kinoo, Avacado, Olive, Louqat, Pomegranate, Mulberry, Pear, Mango (sensation?), Guava, Chiko, Papaya, Amlok
plus grapes
Thanks Again
Janjua
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Thanks Yawer sahib , the info you provided is very helpful and much appreciated and your idea of the solar powered water system is excellent.
Thanks Again
Janjua
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Janjua wrote:Thanks Munir Sahib that was very helpful. We would definetely start working on the pits to gen ready for January feburary planting.
The types of trees that i am planning to plant are listed below. If you have any input about the varieties please let me know and that info will be much appreciated.Apples, Apricots, Fig, Iitchie, Lemon, Orange, Kinoo, Avacado, Olive, Louqat, Pomegranate, Mulberry, Pear, Mango (sensation?), Guava, Chiko, Papaya, Amlokplus grapes.Thanks AgainJanjua
. Sorry, I have not been able to provide the requisite information so far, which hopefully I ll do shortly.
. In the meanwhile,I suggest to you to please go through NARC website @ http://old.parc.gov.pk/Urdu/Urdu-Materi ... lan.htm,in which they have listed the recommended varieties for Potohar. Unfortunately, neither NARC produces these plants & generally puts on sale only a few odd varieties nor is there any certified Nursery to offer the recommended varieties.Market mostly has different names or no names at all of the varieties of different fruit trees on offer. It would be in order to ask the concerned official( probably Dr. Mukhtar at 051-8443759) in Horticulture Dept of NARC about the source/Nursery to get the varieties recommended by them; hope you get some definite answer.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.

Post by Munir »

Further to my earlier post on the subject:
1. Hope you found time to look up the NARC Website & also managed to speak to somebody in NARC.
2. As promised, here is a list of recommended varieties, based on NARC information & other local sources:
. Apple: Dorset Gold & Anna.
. Apricot: as available.
. Fig: called as Black or White Ball Fig; White is considered a little better, but is rarely available,.Tell me also if you somehow find the white one.
. Litchie :Gola (a shade better) & Sorahi
. Lemon: Chinese Lemon & Eureka/ Lisbon.
. Orange: Shakri & Blood Red (grow in bigger number) & (some) Musambi & Salustiana also.
. Kinoo : As available; try some seedless also.
. Avacado : Only one or two types are available – don’t remember the names. This is one of the few things NARC generally sells.
. Olive: Grafted, as available.
. Loquat : Good local variety; try seedless also ,if available. Some people talk of Japani variety as better; don’t know if it is commonly available in the market.
. Pomegranate: Tarnab Pink, Sultan.
. Mulberry: “Qalmi” with long fruit, preferably white colour.
. Pear: As available.
. Mango: Sensation is more an ornamental, planted in the home garden. For better taste, go for Chaunsa,Dohsehri , Langra or Anwar Ratol. But don’t expect the same taste & flavor as one grown in its natural habitat.
. Guava: Sharaqpuri White or Red ( Surkhab) . Even one from Kohat
. Chiko : sold without a variety name.
. Papaya: Hybrid type.
. Amlok: You mean Japani Fruit/Persimum. No variety n
. Grapes: King’s Ruby (purple) & Perlette
3. Some not asked by you, but recommended, as are said to be successful in Potohar:
. Peach: Florida King
. Plum: Centra Rosa or black type from KPK.
. Pecan Nut
. Grapefruit: Shamber , Red Blush
. Sangtara: Nagpuri
4. I don’t know the main purpose of these orchids, but if it a commercial project then I would suggest that you go for grapes as Ist priority & citrus, mainly Shakri followed by Blood Red as 2nd priority. And if you are planning it for personal use only, then you should also try 2-5 trees of each category-in that case include even the left overs like Almond,Nectrine etc. etc.
5. NARC had earlier posted another list, that I can’t locate there now, which was quite different from one now available on their website; I referred to you in the previous post. I can reproduce it, but you should not be interested, as the market varieties are generally not known by those names.
6. More inputs are requested for different information/opinion & to fill in the gaps to make it a more comprehensive information.Similarly, a feedback from the two gentlemen here, after the completion of their exercise, would be awaited.
7. Wish both gentlemen a happy & satisfying experience.
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Munir sahib,

Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. The website that you had linked in your last posting seems to be down. I am not in the country right now but will will have some one give a call to the NARC from the number you provided. But thanks once again for the varieties you provided as that is very useful information.
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Munir or Yawer Sahib or anyone else,

Do you have any info on islamabad nursery farms, is it reputable and sell excellent quality fruit trees ?
Thanks
Janjua
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

Janjua wrote:Munir or Yawer Sahib or anyone else,

Do you have any info on islamabad nursery farms, is it reputable and sell excellent quality fruit trees ?
Thanks
Janjua
Sorry, don't think I have seen or visited it. Where is it located?
Hope you have made your final list ? You need to hurry up,as you may run out of time/season.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Munir sb Tarnab Pink is an excellent variety. What i like its fruit does not burst even in the hottest days.Loquat the grafted varieties are best & commonly available here at Mardan.Peach Early grain is very popular in Peshawar & Mardan.Its earlies, fruit is small in size & it ripes when its the Wheat harvesting time. Sir Red blood or Ruby red does not give the same results it gives in Manki Sharif, Bedoch, Warter or Khanpur.Even here in Mardan Red Blood is a failure.The secret is that Orange taste will come to the type in a valley. Another thing the soil near to canals will not produce the taste.Kinow is totally opposite.Bhalwal Kinow is the finest.
Lychee i love this fruit.Surahi is better in taste but commercially grown is the Gola.The reason is simple its yield is heavy & produce fruit each year.If the location receives heavy frost Lychee will never bear fruit.Here its commercially grown In Rustam & Katlang areas.
Pear is best fruit for our plains.Its heavy producing fruit tree specially where the water table is near to the ground.
Apple is a total failure.
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Minor sahib,

Islamabad nursery farms is supposed to be located Sector H-9/3 in Islamabad, they have asked me for Rs 3000 per 5ft fruit tree, as I am not in town I am trying to investigate the stuff fully online before having some one pickup the stuff to plant. If it was up to me I would have planted the stuff a month ago but as I am waiting for the contractor to clean the land of building material as I am having a house built next to the orchard before I can plant , I am at his mercy. I have told him that I have to plant by the end of February otherwise I will loose the season so hopefully things will be expedited and I would get my 60 trees in.
Umar Sahib,
Thanks for all your input, it is much appreciated
Janjua

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”