planting coconut trees

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

planting coconut trees

Post by Madiha Humbal »

ASSALAM O ALAIKUM,
my parents have a small garden patch in their house and they are interested in planting a coconut tree. a few months back they got a coconut plant from a nursery (as they have seen that the grown coconut trees do not survive if they are transplanted), but it got yellow and died within a few days of planting it. it was six months old, according to the gardener and worth Rs. 1000. their neighbors advised them to buy the plants that are from Sirilanka, as they are shorter in height and give fruit earlier. is it true. please advise me on how to buy a coconut plant for them and then how to plant it also because we have not much experience in handling plants. also please tell me how to identify which ones are Pakistani and which ones are Sirilankan.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: planting coconut trees

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Walaikum Assalam. In my opinion As you want to grow coconut tree buy a plant from nursery of which variety you like and when transplanting make sure that any of the roots does not get damage. Then do deep watering and after that water the tree with 3 to 4 days interval even if the ground is dry. Yes! the plants from SriLanka which were told are called as dwarf tree and they are of shorter height and bears fruits earlier.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Nearly all the plants of Coconuts in Karachi are from Srilanka, it takes only 4-5 year for a tree to produce fruit in Karachi.. avoid the plants with roots growing outside the container/ plastic bag, dont go for a huge plant... never mix any fertilizer... coconut like sand in their planting medium, you can add bajri... water daily...
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

thankyou very much for your help
JAZAKALLAH

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”