Lemon Tree help

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

Haiderali186
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Growing Plants

Lemon Tree help

Post by Haiderali186 »

Hello everyone i have a craze of growing lemon tree's at my place, i dont have enough space in my garden to grow a new plant so i thought to grow it in a container at roof top where it will get enough sun light, now i got a 300gl water tank and make 3 containers from it, each container is 18inch in depth and 38" of diameter. i would like to ask if this container is enough for a chinese lemon plant to grow for 5 -6 years ? or do i need a more deep and wider plant ? as this container is wide enough having 38" diameter but its depth is only 18" = 1.5feet. Help Please.
Secondly i am going to mix some sand and hardwood shavings in soil (bhal) to make it more drainable, is that good ? I will be attaching the pic of Container too.
Haiderali186

Re: Lemon Tree help

Post by Haiderali186 »

Someone Reply please :(
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Generally, lemon plants fruits after 4 or 5 years and nurserymen usually sell those plants. The size you mentioned is large enough to support a plant for at least a year or 2 but be careful watering it as it is a drought tolerant plant and do not like much watering and remember if the plant that you have bought is too small then gradually change the pot size do not repot it directly in a large container.
Haiderali186

Post by Haiderali186 »

My plant is mature and giving fruit, i bought it from nursery near to my place and it has 5 lemons already on it. at this time it is in a pot of 12inch dia. can i transplant it in that plastic water tank container of 38 inch dia ? or should i go for 18 inch or 24inch container first ?
One general thing i have to ask wheter lemon plants like deep container or wide container ?
Thanks for your advise mustansir :)
hnasir
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

That is a big container! The plant should do well. Lahore sun is harsh in summers, and on rooftop it will get very hot- perhaps other members from lahore can advise. For now, just let it grow. Share a picture! And depending on the plant, mostly its grafted, you should have flowering and fruits very soon :)
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

Citrus roots usually don't go deep and remain near the surface so a wider container should be better. That's why doing "godi" of lemon trees one should be careful. What kind of lemon trees have you planted ? China lemon would be fine for a big container like yours but Lisbon, Eureka become tress eventually for a good fruiting so I would not recommend them for containers. Although you can grow them in containers but good fruiting will not happen. Have you tried citrus variety Kamkauts? good taste and medicinal benefits are also better than lemon.

regards
Yawer
Imraan
Gardening Interests: Majorly interested in Fruit Gardening and related new things.

Post by Imraan »

Dear Yawer Sb,
I need your help. Could you pl suggest the place/nursery where i can get lemon plant "Kamkauts". I want to have lemon plan (with good fruits) at my terrace.
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

Imran sb.,
I have never got a chance to ask nurseries in Lahore for Kamkauts. I bought few on GT road near Sohawa (Rs. 150 with fruiting in a pot) and have seen several plants in Peshawar More nurseries in Islamabad. I am quite sure several nurseries in Lahore be keeping this plant as it is not a rare one.

regards
Yawer

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”