Pruned or ruined orange trees?

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Re: Pruned or ruined orange trees?

Post by newton »

There will be dormant buds within the remaining trunk that are likely to now break bud.

You can apply a chuna whitewash to minimise any effects of the hot sun. Untill a canopy is formed

Generally citrus trees only need minimal pruning. ..to shape the tree or remove diseased weak or criss crossing growth... first cuts should be to remove the undesired fresh growth then to shape...etc

I think your trees will grow back fine but try and ensure the ensuing basic framework remains as strong substantial growth removing fresh growth as you wish to shape the tree. You probably wont get a decent crop for a couple of years
Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Hi Shuaib ul Haq
I agree with your post 100% if pruning citrus was beneficial, the practice would have been common among grove owners.
Well the Mali got a stern warning this time. I tried to remember all his good qualities and how he always gets me ghulails (slingshots) from his village to scare the crows :) the Mali is going through NWS syndrome (naswar withdrawal syndrome) :) He told me he's trying to quit naswar and smoking and sometimes his brain freezes. Good for him but I'll me more cautious from now on. When I first saw the trees I couldn't go near them for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shazia Khurram
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Newton your post brings up hope. Someone else also told me to apply choona, but I just hate how the trees look with it. But, if it's the only way to save them in the intense summer heat I'll go for it.
Do you think it'll work if I cover them with some quick growing vines during the summer to provide shade to the trunk and also look pretty? Or will it damage the trees? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MOHAN SINGH
City: LUDHIANA
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

the Mali is going through NWS syndrome

those lines just cracked me up..

since the day i started reading this forum and then joined it I have been constantly getting a feeling how similar we are in terms of vocab (naswar, kalmi shora, patthar chat for kalanchoe, paneeri, kabja group :lol: ), local infrastructure (the buildings, kind of potting mixes available, cots i saw in pics, etc), climate (i can very much relate ours to lahore), etc that i feel we are one with not much difference. Feels like so good and congenial.

As a sidenote your mali should be in his 60s or 70s because that is the age group they used to use naswar, I dont see current generation using it.. :)
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Haha sir Mohan Singh we're all desis after all. And yes your guess is 100% correct he is in his 60s. Mostly Pashtuns consume naswar here. It's part of their culture and they get teased about it a lot too :) countless jokes about khan sab and naswar. I'm surprised to read it's used in India too. I thought it was a purely Pashtun thing. Peshawar, Quetta and Afghanistan mostly. So who are the main connoisseurs in India?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MOHAN SINGH
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

connoisseurs :lol:

Not sure about the whole of india but am talking about the punjab region since we share the same culture atleast punjab and pakistan. I have heard this word from my grandmother that so and so used it, never saw and used it myself. If it is consumed elsewhere in India, it would not be called naswar i guess since its a punjabi word.

Plus there are many stories i have read on quora where punjabi from india mistaken as a punjabi from pak. :)
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Yeah connoisseurs of the fine art of naswar chewing [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MOHAN SINGH

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

:lol:

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”